Tremella mesenterica?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Lee Dingain
Regular user

Tremella mesenterica?

Post by Lee Dingain » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:22 pm

Tremella mesenterica (Yellow Brain) or Tremella auriantia?

I think the black areas indicated by the red arrows are remants of a Peniophora fungus which would make this T. Mesenterica I believe?

With T. auriantia is there always fruitbodies of Stereum hirsutum visible?
Attachments
FB_IMG_1516476002834.jpg

mollisia
Frequent user

Re: Tremella mesenterica?

Post by mollisia » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:34 pm

Hello,

I think the black remnants are - at least some of them - Nemania serpens or something similar, say a Pyrenomycete.

It looks mor elike Tremelle mesenterica to me, as T. aurantia is bigger, less gelatinous and more orange tinged than yellow.

I have always seen fruitbodies of a Stereum species together with T. aurantia (which is not rare in the mediterranean area), but I'm quite certain that this is not obligatory. With Tremella foliacea you also do not obeserve a Stereum species in all cases.

best regards,
Andreas

Lee Dingain
Regular user

Re: Tremella mesenterica?

Post by Lee Dingain » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:47 pm

Hi Andreas,

Many thanks for your comments, this is great. I will be out looking for some more tomorrow so I'll try and photograph the host species a bit better next time.

Best wishes,
Lee