Oyster Mushroom?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Techoten
Regular user

Oyster Mushroom?

Post by Techoten » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:15 pm

This was growing on an old willow tree. To me it looked all day long like a common oyster mushroom, Pleurotus ostreatus, but although the spore print was greyish-white it had very small, sausage-shaped spores (~ 5x1.5µm), whereas it would seem p.ostreatus are a fair bit larger. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Attachments
Fungi fir ID-7-6.jpg
Fungi fir ID-6.jpg
Fungi fir ID-8-4.jpg
Fungi fir ID-9.jpg

mollisia
Frequent user

Re: Oyster Mushroom?

Post by mollisia » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:28 pm

Hello,

my first idea is - wrong calibration.
Spore in the size of 4-5 x 1,5 µm, like e.g. some polypores have, are not that easy visible, and Though I have no idea of what magnification you use and which equipement you have, I yet wonder that such tiny spores are so well presented in a Melzers preparation which additionally usually shrinks spores a bit ....
On the other hand, if you used the 400x magnification and the 1000x calibration, you got to multiply with the factor 2,5 - which then gives something like 10-12 x 3,5 µm, which is fairly well the spore size for P. ostreatus ....

best regards,
Andreas

Techoten
Regular user

Post by Techoten » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:10 pm

Thanks Andreas

But I've tried twice now and I'm fairly confident that the spores are measured correctly.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:35 pm

Agree with Andreas. No way are these spores 1.5µm wide. That is tiny and they would look blurry under any light microscope. What method do you use to calibrate your measurements?
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Techoten
Regular user

Post by Techoten » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:13 am

The same method as I have used many times over the last two years. I have just done it again on another sample and the spores are ~1.5 µm wide. See attachment.
Attachments
Fungi fir ID-1-26.jpg

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:19 am

Hello,

quite strange. I don't know of agarics having such tiny spores in that shape, expect may be Panellus (which then should be amyloid).
If you like you can send me a small piece of a cap or a part of the sporeprint or whatevver you have left of the fungus. If so, I'd mail you my adress as PM.

best regards,
Andreas

Techoten
Regular user

Post by Techoten » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:08 am

Thank you Andreas for taking an interest.
Hope I haven't mislead you but the spores are amyloid as shown from attached image. The first pictures were taken in KMnO4 as I'm not very successful taking images of white spores as a rule. The fruit bodies themselves were quite large (~9cms across) which made me think they were oysters. But following on from your suggestion perhaps it may be a very large, off-colour, Olive oysterling?? but I would gladly send you some spores on a slide and some of the fruit body if you would like.
Thanks again!
Colin
Attachments
Fungi fir ID-1-27.jpg

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:51 pm

Hello Colin,

oh, thank you for veryfing the amyloid spores!
So I think you are very correct that these are old and weathered fruitbodies of Panellus/Sarcomyxa serotina/us. I wouldn't have recognized, but the spores tell it and if one looks at the pictures from that point of view ... with those short and thick stems .... so I think there i not much other possibility.

And no, thank you, no need for a sending of spores or fruitbody anymore. The amyloid spores definitely rule out Pleurotus and are in this size very suitable to Panellus serotinus.

best regards,
Andreas

Techoten
Regular user

Post by Techoten » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:06 pm

Thanks Andreas much appreciated!

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:12 am

Techoten wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:08 am
Hope I haven't mislead you . . .
Colin
Hi Colin I hope you won't begrudge me highlighting this thread as part of one of my linguistic campaigns . . .
the word "led" is disappearing from the English language thanks to the spellchecker -
* lead (rhymes with dead) is a noun describing a heavy metal, but:
* lead (rhymes with deed) means to "cause (a person or animal) to go with one by holding them by the hand, a halter, a rope, etc. while moving forward" but in the past tense - if you had one any of the above you would have led them . . . .
following on from this the past participle "misled" would be appropriate here - this is not in any way aimed at you - most of the so-called quality papers, and the BBC have lapsed into this sloppy orthography, perhaps because the tendency is to read it as "myzuled"
I'll get mi' coat . . .
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"