Is this a Cavalier?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Heucherella
User

Is this a Cavalier?

Post by Heucherella » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:57 pm

Please excuse me - I expect this is common, but I am still learning and everything is new when you start!

This was on the unimproved grassland on the North Devon Coast. I didn't have a clue until I got the new Grassland Fungi book for Christmas, and there is a picture in there of Common Cavalier, Melanoleuca polioleuca, showing a similar shape. But it describes it as dry and leathery, whereas mine were very greasy to touch.

Thank you in advance
Attachments
DSC_6250small.jpg
New at this, so full of questions!

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Is this a Cavalier?

Post by adampembs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:28 pm

Start with spore colour (by making a print) - much better approach than working through a book (with the variability of specimens being quite big depending on age, weather etc) . Most books divide into sections by spore colour anyway, and it is the starting point for any ID.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

roy betts
Frequent user

Re: Is this a Cavalier?

Post by roy betts » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:53 am

Don't be surprised to find fungi in grassland that are not "grassland fungi". The gills and stipe seem to have a pink hue so this might be Lepista nuda (Wood Blewit).