Lots of brown 'funnels' on grassland

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Heucherella
User

Post by Heucherella » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:33 pm

Hi, I am new here, and fairly new to mycology, so could do with some help please.

I went out to my local patch.. an area of unimproved grassland by the coast in North Devon, to see what waxcaps were out, and found lots of rich brown funnel-shaped fungi, between 2 and 5 cm across. Smooth, shiny cap, no noticeable smell. Brown, adnate, sparse gills. Sorry the photos aren't brilliant, but I though as there were loads that it would be easy to find, but I can't seem to pin it down. I am still learning! Thanks in advance
Attachments
IMG_3835small.jpg
18-004small.jpg
New at this, so full of questions!

roy betts
Frequent user

Reply to: "lots of brown funnels on grassland..."

Post by roy betts » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:58 am

I've just tried to reply to a post about 'brown funnels' on grassland. A message came up that the post "doesn't exist" (then the post disappeared!).
It was a first post from some one. The image was not very good but if they read this the fungi they have found may be Pseudoclitocybe cyathiformis.

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:31 pm

roy betts wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:58 am
I've just tried to reply to a post about 'brown funnels' on grassland. A message came up that the post "doesn't exist" (then the post disappeared!).
It was a first post from some one. . . . .
Hi Roy,
Strange that you saw that post at all, as when I logged in just now, it was still awaiting approval????

Anyhow, I've now merged the two posts into the one topic so that your answer is immediately below the original post.

PS: Welcome to UK Fungi, Heucherella.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

mollisia
Frequent user

Re: Lots of brown 'funnels' on grassland

Post by mollisia » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:42 pm

Hello,

I would name it Pseudoclitocybe obbata, especially due to the ecology.

best regards,
Andreas

Heucherella
User

Post by Heucherella » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi everyone, and thank you for your responses. Sorry about the post disappearing - only one of the pictures was present when it was first approved, so I added the second picture and it had to be approved again!

It does look like the Pseudoclitocybe species in my books, but they are all woodland species, so I had ignored them, as it is growing on exposed, unimproved grassland. Is that the correct habitat for P. obbata? That isn't in any of my books..is there a reference online that I could look at please? Would that be likely to be abundant?

No wonder I couldn't find it!!

Thanks again..off to find more pictures that I need help with..

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:25 pm

According to Funga Nordica (under synonym P. expallens), it is found on "neutral, alkaline meadows, influenced by cattle, calcareous coastal meadows, dry meadows etc."
I would trust Andreas' ID, he know what he's talking about.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Heucherella
User

Post by Heucherella » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:06 pm

Thank you, that's very helpful.

roy betts
Frequent user

Post by roy betts » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:38 pm

The British Checklist keeps cyathiformis separate from expallens and also lists obbata. It states the first two are woodland inhabitants and obbata as found in unimproved grassland.
Tom Kuyper's 1995 key (in FAN3) agrees with this habitat for cyathiformis and states "dune grassland" for obbata. He doesn't include expallens in his key (calling it an 'enigmatic' species) so it may well now be regarded as synonymous with cyathiformis. You certainly will come across cyathiformis in grassland habitats although scrub is also often present on such sites.

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:56 pm

Hello Roy,

I have found cyathiformis in grass land habitat only when there is a certain amount of distrubance or even nutrient in it. P. obbata I know only from unimproved, ?always? grazed gassland, together with Hygrocybe calciphila, Cuphophyllus niveus, Lepista saeva and similar species.
So, for my experience P. cyathiformis is a nitrophilous species and P. obbata is nitrophob.

best regards,
Andreas

Heucherella
User

Post by Heucherella » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:32 pm

The unimproved grassland where this was growing is short, coastal and sheep grazed, and has a variety of waxcaps, plus Geoglossum, Clavulinopsis, and many Entolomas. I suspect that if I understand you correctly, that also indicates it might be obbata. If I come across it again I will collect a specimen.

Thanks to everyone for your help.