Unknown white/brown Fungi with craters

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
New user

Unknown white/brown Fungi with craters

Post by fatjoe » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:39 pm

Hello all,

A great Forum you have, here!

I am a very novice novice to the world of Fungi, having been introduced to it by a colleague and I am very interested in learning more about different types of Fungi to be found in the UK - I am amazed at how much there is to learn!

Sorry for the cheesiness!

I had a very short opportunity to take a look at this Fungus in a Mixed Woodland local to me, today.

I appreciate the pictures are not a lot to go on, but until I get a chance to go back later in the week to get more detail, I thought I would post this for now to see if anybody has any ideas.

It was growing out of the soil in amongst some Bramble. It appears to be possibly dying?

To a novice such as myself, it seems to resemble a Clitopilus prunulus?

Apologies for the basic pictures and information - as mentioned, I had only a matter of seconds to observe this.

Thanks in advance.

Frequent user

Re: Unknown white/brown Fungi with craters

Post by adampembs » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:18 pm

Welcome to UK Fungi and Happy New Year!
Is your name Joe?

Fungi are quite hard to to identify even when in good condition.
The "craters" are slug holes.
Sadly these are in too poor condition to identify. It's best to walk past and ignore dilapidated specimens like this.
For future reference, photos showing all parts of the fruitbody are needed for most IDs. Cap, stem and gills/pores.
Please take time to read the FAQ viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49

est wishes
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Post by Peachysteve » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:01 am

It could be a fallen Birch Polypore.

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:56 pm

Peachysteve wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:01 am
It could be a fallen Birch Polypore.
My thoughts exactly when I saw it (on second viewing there's even a birch leaf in shot) . . . though I would echo Adam's comments and stress that there are very few fungi which could be identified in this state (and indeed not even in situ in this instance).
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"