Galerina graminea?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Lee Dingain
Regular user

Galerina graminea?

Post by Lee Dingain » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:03 pm

I'm fairly sure this is Galerina graminea? Was growing on grassland in Surrey last month. Are there similar species I need to consider?
Attachments
20171121_132423-ed.jpg
20171121_132448-ed.jpg
20171121_132500-ed.jpg
20171121_132520-ed.jpg

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Galerina graminea?

Post by Chris Yeates » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:11 pm

Hi
Galerina species, with the exception perhaps of Galerina marginata and the sphagnicolous species, cannot be identified without miccroscopy (and even then it's not always easy). I suspect at least half the historic British records of "Galerina hypnorum" were incorrect, for example.
That said this has a touch of the look of a Tubaria

Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

roy betts
Frequent user

Post by roy betts » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:32 am

I agree with Chris's comments on identifying Galerinas and also that this is likely a Tubaria (furfuracea probably).
Galerina graminia has a paler, yellow-buff cap and gills and a whitish stem.

Lee Dingain
Regular user

Post by Lee Dingain » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:04 pm

Many thanks Roy and Chris. I really appreciate your comments.