first time hunting and need help identifying

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
fishermanmatt
New user

first time hunting and need help identifying

Post by fishermanmatt » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:23 pm

if anyone would let me email them my finds it would be much appreciated. i have about 20 mushrooms and don't want to resize everyone to put on here. thanks matt

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: first time hunting and need help identifying

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:32 pm

Hi Matt, and welcome to UK Fungi.

I don't want to put you off, but I doubt whether anyone would be willing to enter into email dialogue with you when they have no idea who you might be.

These days most people are, (and rightly so), wary of giving out their email addresses willy-nilly.

If you are unwilling to resize and upload your images, (which, after all, would only be for your own benefit, and should take no more than a couple of minutes to do), then it is highly likely that you will get no further response.

I'd strongly advise you to read this post: -
Help Us to Help You Identify Your Finds viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: first time hunting and need help identifying

Post by adampembs » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:48 pm

Welcome to UK Fungi

I use Picasa and export images as a batch so I only resize in one go.

I would suggest starting with 2 or 3 species in any case. Each one can require quite a bit of time to identify and no-one here gets paid, we all do it out of love of our hobby and commitment to finding and recording species. Of course we are also curious to see what's out there :geek:
I could add that if people here are prepared to spend time identifying your finds, is it really too much to ask that you take the effort (or learn to) resize a few photos? :)

Best wishes,
Adam Pollard
Site admin