Some fungi from September and October

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
DaveMcC
User

Some fungi from September and October

Post by DaveMcC » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:30 pm

Back in September and October I was in a mixed woodland, mostly deciduous with beech, ash, oak, birch etc... and I found quite a lot of different fungi and I just need help with identifying and confirming what some are.

First, these 3 images. The first 2 are of the same fungi, found on a rotting tree stump:
Fungi_1.jpg
Fungi 1 on Tree Stump
Fungi_1_SIde.jpg
Fungi 1 on Tree Stump
This one was found on a rotting beech tree and the head had a slimy texture to it. Is it the same type of fungi as in the first two images above?
Fungi_2.jpg
Fungi on Beech Tree
I found a few of these growing around the forest floor below beech trees. Not sure what it is:
Fungi_3.jpg
Red Fungi
This yellow fungi was growing below an area with mixed Pine, Beech, Ash and Birch trees:
Yellow_Fungi_Top.jpg
Yellow Fungi
Yellow_Fungi_Side.jpg
Yellow Fungi
This purple one I found under some beech trees:
PurpleFungi.jpg
Purple Fungi
Glistening Ink Cap?
GlistInkCap.jpg
Glistening Ink Cap?
I have more to ID/confirm, I'll post them when I have edited the images.

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Some fungi from September and October

Post by Chris Yeates » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:19 am

Hi
the singular is fungus - i.e. "this fungus", not "this fungi" . . .
you will appreciate that shots in the field are not always enough for identifications (though your photographs are better than many)
if #1-3 were in a better state I would suggest Oudemansiella mucida
#4 could well be Mycena rosea
#5/6 is a Russula - not an easy genus - might be the common R. ochroleuca, but . . .
#7 Laccaria amethystina
#8 yes almost certainly Coprinellus micaceus
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Flaxton
Frequent user

Post by Flaxton » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:40 pm

And I would agree with all Chris' suggestions.
Mal

DaveMcC
User

Post by DaveMcC » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:23 pm

Thanks for the help, yes your right its fungus not fungi for single ones. I'll remember in future. I have some more I need help to ID:

Trametes versicolor? Found these all over a fallen beech tree:
Bracket Fungi on Beech.jpg
Oudemansiella mucida?
SlimeFungi1.jpg
SlimeFungus_Underside.jpg
This was growing on the same fallen beech tree as the first image of the bracket fungi.
JellylikeFungi.jpg
JellylikeFungiClose.jpg

roy betts
Frequent user

Post by roy betts » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:05 pm

The white one with the gills:
O. mucida has a ring and grows on Beech wood.
Was this attached to wood or growing on soil/litter? To me it looks like an Hygrophorus sp. (Wood Wax) - which doesn't grow attached to wood.
There are several white species of Hygrophorus that have viscid caps like Oudemansiella.

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:42 pm

The last two show a species of Peziza, perhaps most likely one of the so-called "complex" around P. varia. This is however a very tricky area, even with the use of a microscope - which is essential for these fungi. There is a paper here which may give some idea of the complexity:
https://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/hand ... sequence=1
regards
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

DaveMcC
User

Post by DaveMcC » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:14 pm

roy betts wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:05 pm
The white one with the gills:
O. mucida has a ring and grows on Beech wood.
Was this attached to wood or growing on soil/litter? To me it looks like an Hygrophorus sp. (Wood Wax) - which doesn't grow attached to wood.
There are several white species of Hygrophorus that have viscid caps like Oudemansiella.
It was growing out of the soil at the edge of a woodland, not from a hidden bit of wood, so could be wood wax as from the images I have seen, it looks more like it.
Chris Yeates wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:42 pm
The last two show a species of Peziza, perhaps most likely one of the so-called "complex" around P. varia. This is however a very tricky area, even with the use of a microscope - which is essential for these fungi. There is a paper here which may give some idea of the complexity:
https://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/hand ... sequence=1
regards
Chris
Thanks for the link. Seems I have a lot to learn when it comes to identifying fungi.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:27 pm

DaveMcC wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:14 pm

Thanks for the link. Seems I have a lot to learn when it comes to identifying fungi.
It never ends.... c :(
Adam Pollard
Site admin