Tiny white blobs on bare wood

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Aciauda
Regular user

Tiny white blobs on bare wood

Post by Aciauda » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:18 pm

Is this a fungus?
In the woods this has the form of tiny knobbly white spots about 0.3-0.5 mm diameter on bare wood. I thought it resembled Bactridium flavum. On examination it is made up of these elongated structures arising more or less from a point, each with an even covering of smooth lumps. There are tiny spherical bodies floating about in the water surrounding the warty finger-like structures which I take to be spores.
Can you tell me if this is a fungus or if not, what it is.
1 Whats this .jpg
2 Whats this (8).jpg
3 Whats this (3).jpg
4 Whats this (6).jpg

Waxcap
Frequent user

Re: Tiny white blobs on bare wood

Post by Waxcap » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:29 pm

Hi,

it looks like Ceratiomyxa fruticulosa - a myxomycete. The globose spores are borne on stalks along the "fingers".

Dave

Aciauda
Regular user

Re: Tiny white blobs on bare wood

Post by Aciauda » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:01 pm

Thank you Dave but can it really be that? It seemed so much too definite in structure and although not measured the 'spores' seemed tiny. I must say I have never examined Ceratiomyxa fructulosa but always done the id in the field.