Little sordid agaric under pine

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
adampembs
Frequent user

Little sordid agaric under pine

Post by adampembs » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:13 pm

A small sordid coloured agaric 20-30mm diameter growing under a 2 needled pine.
Very wet dry and cap and stem only slightly viscid when wet, not after drying.
Adnate gills
Hygrophanous.
Fertile gill edge, no cystidia
I think it is a cutis (very densely packed and hard to see structure in a section, photo attached is a scalp.)
White spore print. Spores with no iodine reaction. Approx 6.1 - 8.5 x 3.3 - 4.2µm.
It has a faint smell but I have a cold

Any ideas?
Attachments
DSCF4298.JPG
DSCF4299.JPG
P1040487.JPG
SmallSordidJob-002.jpg
SmallSordidJob-0003.JPG
Adam Pollard
Site admin

roy betts
Frequent user

Re: Little sordid agaric under pine

Post by roy betts » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:42 pm

As no-one has replied Adam, I'll suggest it's one of those anonymous late season Clitocybes.
Hygrophanous cap without aeriferous covering, 'large' spores, smell unknown: it might even be C. fragrans !

NickWood
User

Post by NickWood » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:15 pm

Forgive the questions, Adam, but I'm new to this.
What colour is "sordid"?
Two images appear to show a beige fungus, but in the third they are white. Which is closest?
I'm finding getting the colour right in photos very difficult, and use software filter functions.
Nick

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:54 pm

Sordid is the cap colour. It just means dirty white. The gills are white.
The shot on the right is more accurate for colour, but is out of focus and doesn't show gill attachment, which is why I took the indoor shot later.
The indoor shots also show the hygrophanous nature of the mushroom. (ie a different colour when dry)

You can get proper colour charts, and all of the BFF books come with one. I currently use the chart in Michael Jordan's book, but I think the ones in the BFF series have more colours. I'll be getting one for Xmas, I hope. I don't think "sordid" is one of those colours, but the specific name "sordida" is used for a number of fungi species.
(BFF range) https://summerfieldbooks.com/search.asp ... ngus+Flora
Adam Pollard
Site admin

NickWood
User

Post by NickWood » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:18 pm

Thanks for this, Adam, and for the link. I'm now much clearer on the sordid cap colour and " hygrophanous". Looks like another book on my list for Santa!