Unidentified Fungus

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Bob Hazell
Regular user

Unidentified Fungus

Post by Bob Hazell » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:46 pm

This fungus was growing inside a litter bin housing. It was growing through a hole in the floor and only came to light when the Rangers at Draycote Reservoir, Warwickshire, removed the bin for emptying. Consequently it is reasonable to assume the fungus has largely been growing in the dark and its shape is severely distorted by downward pressure from the bin. It was photographed on 16th October and appears to be a stunted cluster growth. I am afraid I can add little by way of description and appreciate identification of such a deformed specimen is probably impossible. However, I was generally impressed by the deformed shape and wondered, notwithstanding my earlier comment, whether it might be something like Armillaria mellea (Honey Fungus). I and the Rangers would welcome any comments or guidance which you may be able to provide.
P1170456web.jpg

roy betts
Frequent user

Re: Unidentified Fungus

Post by roy betts » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:52 am

It is possible this is Lyophyllum decastes which usually grows in clusters like this and has a similar coloured cap and stem.

Bob Hazell
Regular user

Re: Unidentified Fungus

Post by Bob Hazell » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks Roy - I didn't hold out much hope of receiving any suggestions. The litter bin is by a small copse so the habitat is consistent. Certainly Lyophyllum decastes does appear the most likely and reasonable identification. Many thanks for your help.