Wild about Britain Fungi Encyclopedia

Wood Wanderer
Frequent user

Wild about Britain Fungi Encyclopedia

Post by Wood Wanderer » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:03 pm

Hi all

Completely by accident I have just discovered you can still access the old WAB Encyclopedia of Fungi

Search Google for "Encyclopedia of British fungi on WAB1" and then scroll to the bottom of the resulting page and there it is ...

Not sure how helpful that is but just thought you might like to know :) :o

Regards

John

FungiJohn
Regular user

Re: Wild about Britain Fungi Encyclopedia

Post by FungiJohn » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:11 pm

WAB is now back up and running :)

Best Wishes - John

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:57 pm

..and who is running it, should we trust it and will it be managed better than before?
Adam Pollard
Site admin

FungiJohn
Regular user

Post by FungiJohn » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:10 pm

adampembs wrote:..and who is running it, should we trust it and will it be managed better than before?
Hi Adam

There's a post from Stuart explaining 'roughly' what happened and the possible future of the site.

I wish the site well, but I have made it quite clear that I have no intention of doing any admin duties for the site unless I and others are kept in the picture and updated as appropriate. Having given wab 10 years of my time for free I am very reluctant to participate at this time.

Best wishes - John

Leif
Frequent user

Post by Leif » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:03 am

I can only say that I hope the 'usual suspects' post here. Adam has done a good job of creating a forum. My issue with WAB was that they took shared copyright of images, allowing them to sell them on if so desired, whereas Adam does not.

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:59 am

Hello,

just from my personal sight of the things I won't like to go back to WAB, just because of the reason the others mentioned too: The policy of reserving rights on the pictures uploaded. That had made it necessary to reduce the pictures to an "unprintable" size and put a copyright sign somewhere - what needs a lot of time that can be spneded more useful ....

I don't see an advantage of the WAB site compared with the forum here.

best regards,
Andreas

Flaxton
Frequent user

Post by Flaxton » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:59 pm

WAB was a wonderful site but it has been replaced by this one and I would prefer to stay loyal to UK Fungi after all the work put in by Adam.
Mal

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:07 pm

I don't think that the reappearance of WAB's website is anything to shout about as yet.

This message appears to anyone trying to register with the site: - "Sorry, registration has been disabled by the administrator".

Like many others, I would like to wish WAB success in reinventing itself, but only on the premise that this time it is better administrated.
There is no doubt about it - WAB was the best website available for the full spectrum of UK Natural History, quality of content, knowledgeable membership, and superb photo galleries.

Fungi-wise, I would like to think that the community of fungi enthusiasts here at UK Fungi would now maintain their allegiance to this site.
Adam has put in a considerable amount of time and expertise to get UK Fungi up and running, and, as may be seen from Google searches, it has quickly become the number 1 search result hit for UK fungi oriented web enquiries.

We have the momentum, some incredible expertise within membership, and someone who genuinely cares for the site at the helm, let's keep it that way, and enable UK Fungi to maintain and improve further on that foundation.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:26 pm

Thanks for the support, and I think we have a good thing going here :) and power here is more devolved than WAB, we have 3 admins not just one like WAB, so if one person goes AWOL, two others can carry on. If we get hacked, there are backups, that's a radical notion, eh. :o So I can restore the site in a couple of hours.
Adam Pollard
Site admin