Arrhenia sphagnicola

Philbo
User

Arrhenia sphagnicola

Post by Philbo » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:52 am

Hi All,

I found this fungus growing in moss, South Lancs which I thought it looked like an Arrhenia.

I sought expert opinion and it was determined (or at least - "they look very much") Arrhenia sphagnicola.

NBN suggest's it's pretty rare here. I'm a bit of fungus novice so I'm not really sure about recording - is this the kind of thing I should inform the county recorder of?

Cheers,

Phil
p.s have other, better, close up photos
om.jpg

Leif
Frequent user

Re: Arrhenia sphagnicola

Post by Leif » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:18 am

Hello Phil

You can check how rare it is, or more accurately, how often it has been recorded, using the FRDBI:

http://www.fieldmycology.net/FRDBI/FRDB ... BNum=42384

It is rarely recorded. The list will tell you if it is a county first in which case Kew might be interested in a specimen. I could not see a record for Lancashire, but I only searched on "Lanc". Note that it is not necessarily up to date. I can't see any harm contacting the county recorder, I am sure (s)he will answer your questions about recording.

There is also CATE (abfg.org) which is a better database in my opinion, as it is easier to use, but the data is not quite so complete.

Philbo
User

Post by Philbo » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:16 am

Many thanks for the info,

It doesnt appear to be on either database for Lancs

Cheers,
Phil

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Post by Chris Johnson » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:55 pm

Philbo wrote:Many thanks for the info,

It doesnt appear to be on either database for Lancs

Cheers,
Phil
Hi Phil, do you have images of the upper surface?

One useful macro character is the dark scales as seen in this typical image.

Cheers, Chris
Arrhenia-sphagnicola-01.jpg

Philbo
User

Post by Philbo » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Hi Chris,
I had initially rejected A. Sphagnicola, myself, as mine didnt seem to show the scales.

However I've seen several photos of A. Sphagnicola, where scales aren't evident

The photos arent brilliant but I've attached them

Cheers,

Phil
fa41.jpg
fa11.jpg
fa31.jpg

CJohnsonOHBR
Regular user

Post by CJohnsonOHBR » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:27 am

Deciding whether a species is rare or under-recorded is difficult. First you need an assessment of whether the habitat is common in a particular area e.g. in the Outer Hebrides the amount of broad-leaf woodland is strictly limited so fungi associated with this type of habitat are locally uncommon, but not rare in the broader context of western Scotland. You also need an assessment of how well an area has been recorded, either currently in the past.
These points need to be considered whichever source of records you refer to. Unfortunately none of the databases are comprehensive, so you need to look at all three. Although BMS have not put any records on NBN since 2007 it is still a useful resource as it includes records that are not on CATE.
Common, under-recorded or rare, the records are important and your efforts are appreciated.

Christine

Philbo
User

Post by Philbo » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:06 pm

Thanks for the info Christine

This is going to sound slightly pathetic, but I've been unable to find out the details of the relevant recorder
- I'm in South Lancs (vc59)- is anyone able to help

Cheers,
Phil

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:59 pm

Philbo wrote:Thanks for the info Christine

This is going to sound slightly pathetic, but I've been unable to find out the details of the relevant recorder
- I'm in South Lancs (vc59)- is anyone able to help

Cheers,
Phil
Hi Phil
I'm not sure if he is the Recorder, but John Taylor (a very good mycologist) seems to be one point of contact to the North West Fungus Group (you could even join ;) ) details here:
https://data.nbn.org.uk/Organisations/235

cheers
Chris

btw why is this on the General fungi discussion thread and not the Fungi ID requests one?
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Philbo
User

Post by Philbo » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:48 am

Hi Chris,

In answer to your question
"why is this on the General fungi discussion thread and not the Fungi ID requests one?"

It wasn't originally a request for identification. In my original post I mentioned I had found Arrhenia sphagnicola (although admittedly I have become less confident of this)

and

"NBN suggest's it's pretty rare here. I'm a bit of fungus novice so I'm not really sure about recording - is this the kind of thing I should inform the county recorder of?"

Surely that's General Discussion?

..if not then apologies

Cheers,
Phil