Regular user

Re: Hawthorn Leaf Blight - Monilinia johnsonii

Post by FungiJohn » Wed May 27, 2015 10:12 pm

Lots in the Stones but we found none at Treswell Wood

rustbucket
Regular user

Post by rustbucket » Thu May 28, 2015 6:54 am

Spotted yesterday in Carmarthenshire by Sam Bosanquet.

FungiJohn
Regular user

Post by FungiJohn » Thu May 28, 2015 1:14 pm

From Anston Stones Wood:
Attachments
MAY_4398_m_e.jpg
Monilinia johnsonii anamorph - Monilia crataegi_MAY_1374_m2_e.JPG

Steve
Frequent user

Post by Steve » Thu May 28, 2015 7:42 pm

Hi,
We walked part of the Derwent Valley Heritage Trail from Ladybower to Hathersage yesterday - the Hawthorn Blight is all over, along the River Derwent and also along the road back - though many trees/bushes appear completely unaffected. Always just a few widely dispersed leaves affected on an infected Hawthorn. My non-mycological walking mates picked the leaf smell up instantly though they described it as being more sharp-scented than flowery. (It was good that they detected it as smell can a very dodgy ID character in my experience - with only 4 or 5 out of 20 people on a 2013 public foray I led being able to detect coconut in Lactarius glyciosmus - and they were under strict instructions not to say anything till we'd all smelled the mushroom!) Interesting to know if this Hawthorn Blight is actually on the increase, or if it just hasn't been noted generally before. Also, which records are of the cup fungus and which are of the anamorph? Plenty of Red Campion Anther Smut around too.
Steve

jimmymac2
Frequent user

Post by jimmymac2 » Sat May 30, 2015 3:59 pm

I looked all around my small village this afternoon looking for this fungus, I could see none. We have a good number of Hawthorn hedges and a few young plants in my garden but no sign of it at all. But now that I am aware of this fungus I'll definitely keep a look out!
Always keep your eyes open... :shock:

Steve
Frequent user

Post by Steve » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:19 am

Hi Jimmy,
It seems to be locally abundant round here at present. It is 500 yards up our road in Sheffield, but no sign in the allotments 300 yds the other way, where there are hawthorn hedges all over (and lots of smoky bonfires - any connection?), or in our garden which has a big hawthorn hedge. In the US it looks like it's a problem with some Cretaegus http://apsjournals.apsnet.org/doi/pdf/1 ... 3.87.5.539
One to keep an eye open for. By the way, what has happened to Ash Dieback? Haven't spotted it in the Peak District yet.
Steve

jimmymac2
Frequent user

Post by jimmymac2 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:01 pm

Thanks Steve, I'll look harder!
As for Ash Dieback - that's a good thing!!!
Always keep your eyes open... :shock: