Recent Finds from Longshaw

Steve
Frequent user

Re: Recent Finds from Longshaw

Post by Steve » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:28 pm

Hi,
We found Splitgill (Scizophyllum commune) at Longshaw today - for the first time according to my collected records - but probably reflects more the obsession with waxcaps which completely dominate the recent historical records for the Estate, and the fact that mycologists don't have to and don't always want to keep records.
It's a reasonably common fungus in Sheffield - depending on how you define "common".
Steve
Attachments
Spilitgill.jpg
Splitgill - Schizophyllum commune, shot in situ from below, nothing picked - no need.

diggleken
Frequent user

Post by diggleken » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:46 am

I agree Steve, its something I find , not frequently, but often enough, just a bit north of you - in Saddleworth - seems notably a coloniser of cut Pine stumps, surprisingly.

Steve
Frequent user

Post by Steve » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:45 am

The Splitgill was on a big Beech log Ken.
We get it in Sheffield parks (just up the road for example) and woodlands - I think that's also on Beech. And it likes straw bales, where I spotted it using binoculars across a barbed wire fence right down in deepest White Peak - what an amazingly opportunistic fungus! Here's one I've been looking for ever since I identified it for a colleague some time ago - Plicatura crispa at Longshaw on Thursday, on Birch. Looks like (possibly - can't check with FRDBI as the site is not working again :?: ) the first Peak District record - on my list at any rate.
Steve
Attachments
1 Field.JPG
Picatura crispa - Field photo
2 Field.JPG
Picatura crispa - Field photo
3 Studio.JPG
Picatura crispa - Studio photo
4  Studio.JPG
Picatura crispa - Studio photo
5 Spores.jpg
Picatura crispa - spores in water x 1000
6 Clamp.jpg
Picatura crispa - Medallion clamp

diggleken
Frequent user

Post by diggleken » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:49 am

Very nice Steve - FRDBI isn't running too well, perhaps linked to the newer BMS site - always confuses me this difference - but nothing for Peak area on NBN as far as I can make out - I'll have to search our Saddleworth woods (not that they are very profuse or old) and see if I can find it - I love a challenge.................. 8-)

Steve
Frequent user

Post by Steve » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:12 am

Yes it was a VERY nice find!
My good friend Alan Smith (who finds all kinds of unusual fungi on Wadsley Common to the north of Sheffield) sent me a specimen to check out a good while ago, so I knew exactly what it was as soon as I saw it.
You just have too check out everything don't you?
Brian and I have been surveying a local Wildlife Trust site recently, using 10 metre circular quadrats (sounds odd - but you can have any shape of quadrat) which we examine for absolutely everything. Fungi John and Les taught me how to do this - put your stuff down, even set up a camera table on a rock, and just settle down to seek out the fungi. I got 19 species of macrofungi round a single tree recently - the ground was covered with Sinuous Chanterelle which I would have walked straight past on a guided foray.
I've been through Saddleworth area a couple of times doing the Pennine Way - I bet it's a bit quieter than Longshaw!
Steve

diggleken
Frequent user

Post by diggleken » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:32 am

Saddleworth is always busy, Uppermill is full of tourists these days, even in winter - and Dovestone (DS) is mad on a summer weekend - don't bother............but otherwise, if you know where to go, you can be in the middle of nowhere..........NWFG will be running a foray there next year, in October, around DS. ;)