Fungal biodiversity over time

adampembs
Frequent user

Fungal biodiversity over time

Post by adampembs » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:14 am

We all know how ancient woodland harbours more biodiversity than recent plantations (although some people in government don't. It's shocking how few scientists hold cabinet positions, hence the farce of biodiversity off-setting)

I went to the Parc Slip nature reserve on Sunday. It was an open cast coal mine and was filled to be restored in the 1980s and became a nature reserve in the 1990s. It has a number of projects, with ponds/scrapes for wading birds, and an area for reptiles; adders, slow worms and grass snakes, which are abundant. It also has hay meadows. These were planted with wildflower mix only a year ago, so plant diversity is not great yet.

In terms of fungi, I saw very little evidence (I see more rusts, for example, on a path in the town.) So, I was wondering if much research has been done in the increase in biodiversity, especially fungal, over time. Is there a point where it reaches a maximum, or where number of species reaches a plateau? I know habitat would play a role, as mycorrhizal fungi associate with trees of various ages. Are we talking centuries or millenia?
Adam Pollard
Site admin

marksteer
Frequent user

Re: Fungal biodiversity over time

Post by marksteer » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:06 pm

I was at Parc Slip last week looking for Chrysomyxa pirolata. Apparently Pyrola rotundifolia ssp.maritima has been seen there although I didn't find it! This Pyrola has been found on a few colliery spoil heaps in RCT.
There have been a number of interesting fungi found at this site - Mike Bright maybe able to give you some idea of species.
Parc Slip is where the Glamorgan Fungus Group will be running an event for National Fungus Day in October.
'The more I know the more I realise I don't know'