Recording finds from the field

Ganoderma resinaceum
Regular user

Recording finds from the field

Post by Ganoderma resinaceum » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:24 pm

Evening all,

I am looking to start recording all of my finds when I am out looking for fungi. I came across MapMate (http://www.mapmate.co.uk), which is promoted by the Essex Field Club and appears easy enough to use. Does anyone have experience with this software or any other GIS systems used for archiving finds?

I have also found Mycorec (http://www.fieldmycology.net/MycoRec/MycoRec.htm), though the last update was 2002 and I am unsure of how 'up with the times' it is. Can anyone attest to this piece of software? Certainly, it's dedicated for mycological records specifically, which is a bonus.

Thanks,
Chris

Flaxton
Frequent user

Re: Recording finds from the field

Post by Flaxton » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:18 am

Chris
I used to use Mycorec and it was a good way of recording my finds but the "Current Name" side of things is now totally out of date. At the end of each season it would provide an Excel file which was sent of to the FRDBI (the BMS fungal database) for uploading. Unfortunately I think this facility is now no longer available. You will soon be able to upload directly but not sure when. A second option is CATE2 a database held by the FCT and using this you could enter records on to an iPad or the like in the field and upload to the main database at home.
Mal

CJohnsonOHBR
Regular user

Post by CJohnsonOHBR » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Most of the biological recording groups currently use Recorder 6. The learning curve may be a little steeper than Mapmate but it is very flexible and once set-up easy to input data.
There is a one-off price for the software (about £30) with no annual fees for up-dates. The support via the NBN forum is very professional and has rescued me a few times when I've got a mess. The taxonomy is also up-to-date and includes all the synonyms.
All the information is available from: http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-4592

Hope this helps

Christine

Ganoderma resinaceum
Regular user

Post by Ganoderma resinaceum » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:39 pm

Thanks (to both of you).

Recorder 6 looks good. The learning curve isn't too much of an issue. I suppose my only query is as follows: can I record finds of polypores down to a level of the single host tree, or does one 'plot point' relate to an area - let's say - 100mx100m?

The idea of uploading direct to the FRDBI is certainly a double-edged sword. I would expect there'd be some rigorous checks before any records are put in, as the wrong idents could easily be added in and 'damage' data sets.

Cheers.

CJohnsonOHBR
Regular user

Post by CJohnsonOHBR » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Sorry for the delay.
The geographical area of your sample is set by the grid reference, so if you have a GPS you can use either an 8 or 10 fig grid reference which will pinpoint your sample to with 10m or less. You could then group all your samples together into a survey for a particular location. So you could all you polypores from one site individually recorded with a 10 fig grid reference, and for another site you could record the species within a 100m grid.
It is entirely your choice how you organise your records and the type of parameters you wish to set with regards to area and location. It is also easy to move samples around if you change your mind. The system organises groups of records into Surveys, so you can have different parameters for each if you wish. As with all software it is a case of working out the best way to configure it to meet your needs. It is a hierachical linked database system so there are almost endless possibilities and everyone I know who uses Recorder has their own system.

Hope this helps.

Christine

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Ganoderma resinaceum wrote:. . . can I record finds of polypores down to a level of the single host tree? . . .
As a slight aside on this, just out of interest I decided to note the site - a single mature Laurus nobilis in an historic herb garden - for a rarely-reported (though probably not too rare) saprophytic fungus specific to Laurus. If you go to http://www.ascofrance.com/search_recolte/3088 and click on the orange bar under the thumbnail (and providing you have Google Earth downloaded) let me know if it works for you . . . .
best
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"