Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Waxcap
Frequent user

Re: Fungus Of The Day

Post by Waxcap » Wed May 20, 2015 7:23 pm

Just trying out the image upload. This was on my lawn.

Coprinus patouillardii
image.jpg

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Wed May 20, 2015 11:00 pm

Not an expert on Inkcaps (or any other fungi!) but I think this maybe one of the Parasola which frequently appear on lawns.
Coprinopsis patouillardii occurs on 'strawy dung,compost,straw and domestic waste and is occasional or seldom recorded' according to Buczacki et al 2012
I maybe completely wrong though - 'the more I know the more I realise I don't know'!
'The more I know the more I realise I don't know'

Waxcap
Frequent user

Post by Waxcap » Thu May 21, 2015 7:43 am

Hello Marksteer,

The granular pale pinkish brown veil (similar to C. cordisporus) on the pileus surface consists of smooth subglobose elements. Parasola doesn't have a granular veil. This (even though one if the few remaining in the genus Coprinus) places it in subsection Nivei of the Inkcaps. The distinctive angular spores and their size confirmed it at C. patouillardii.

I appreciate that you didn't have much to go on in the photo but I was testing the image upload facility. I do try to refrain from naming fungi, especially to species, unless I'm pretty sure of the id. but I do get it wrong sometimes.

Dave
Last edited by Waxcap on Sun May 24, 2015 7:54 am, edited 6 times in total.

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Thu May 21, 2015 8:53 am

Hi Dave,
Your knowledge of Inkcaps (now called Coprioid fungi according to Kew) is far in advance of mine!
Without microscopy a difficult area.
Mark

Waxcap
Frequent user

Post by Waxcap » Thu May 21, 2015 9:15 am

Hi Mark,

Often a difficult area even with microscopy! I forgot to mention above that this specimen also lacked lageniform cheilocystidia which is a feature of C. cordispora. Derek Schafer's 2009 key calls it Coprinopsis patouillardii, which seems very sensible as it is in section Nivei but it seems that it was left as Coprinus in the 2008 re-evaluation by Redhead, Vilgalys & Monclavo. At least it's still Coprinus on the FRDBI but Species Fungorum has it as Coprinopsis patouillardii (Quel) G. Moreno 2010. I think I'll call it Coprinopsis from now on.

Dave

roy betts
Frequent user

Post by roy betts » Sat May 23, 2015 12:47 pm

Talking of Parasola's, a quick image from the P. auricoma which appeared in the flower bed overnight: showing cap cuticle cells, thick walled brown setae and ellipsoid spores.
Attachments
C. auricomum 004a.JPG

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sat May 23, 2015 1:59 pm

Is that a scalp?
Adam Pollard
Site admin

roy betts
Frequent user

Post by roy betts » Sat May 23, 2015 6:44 pm

Yes, Adam: x125.

Waxcap
Frequent user

Post by Waxcap » Sun May 24, 2015 7:43 am

Nice image of the setae Roy. Seeing those cap cells I'm thinking that what I thought were veil cells on my "Coprinopsis patouillardii" above are in fact the cells of the cap cuticle which would mean that my specimen is a Parasola - as Marksteer suggested. :oops:

Dave

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Sun May 24, 2015 8:19 am

Hi Dave,
I've found similar on neighbour's lawn which I think is a Parasola but I might be wrong. I will try and post photos but maybe too large files and I'm not at all sure how to make them smaller! I don't do microscopy so difficult to be sure of id.
Mark

roy betts
Frequent user

Post by roy betts » Sun May 24, 2015 8:55 am

I think you are right Dave. I can't see any veil on your image and the cuticle cells of Parasola are very similar to the veil in patouillardii: also the gill cystidia are very similar. It may well be Parasola keuhneri is very which is close in spore size to patouilladii.

Waxcap
Frequent user

Post by Waxcap » Sun May 24, 2015 11:14 am

Thanks for the replies. That does make sense Roy.
Dave