Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Flaxton
Frequent user

Re: Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Post by Flaxton » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:11 pm

Last week I spotted a bright yellow/orange "dot" in the grass during a round of golf. It was a rather squashed specimen of an unusual fungi. Playing again this week I ended up in a similar area, not the middle of the fairway. I took the opportunity to look for any more fruiting bodies without much hope of success but!!! This time with its cup shape still intact and dark blue outside and bright orange inside.
Caloscypha fulgens
P3251770a.jpg
Caloscypha fulgens
P3251768a.jpg
Caloscypha fulgens
Last edited by adampembs on Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To add species name to caption

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Post by Lancashire Lad » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:54 pm

Tarzetta cupularis - Toothed Cup: -
Tarzetta cupularis - Toothed Cup1.jpg
Tarzetta cupularis - Toothed Cup.
After some debate as to which Tarzetta this actually was - (they had quite lengthy stems), microscopy (by FungiJohn) - revealing straight and not hooked paraphyses, confirmed them as T.cupularis.

(According to some literature, T.cuplularis does occasionally appear with stems similar to T.catinus).

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:50 pm

Polyporus squamosus - Dryad's Saddle
Attachments
20170403_145724.jpg
20170403_145817.jpg
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Wood Wanderer
Frequent user

Post by Wood Wanderer » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:03 pm

Lancashire Lad wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:54 pm

After some debate as to which Tarzetta this actually was - (they had quite lengthy stems), microscopy (by FungiJohn) - revealing straight and not hooked paraphyses, confirmed them as T.cupularis.

(According to some literature, T.cuplularis does occasionally appear with stems similar to T.catinus).
Terrific photo Mike ...
Last edited by adampembs on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Incorrect formatting

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:47 am

Wood Wanderer wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:03 pm
. . . Terrific photo Mike ...
Cheers John - Trying to make the most of what's photogenic ( :D ) at the moment! :)

From the same site - One that I look forward to seeing each Spring - Morchella esculenta - Common Morel: -

Regards,
Mike.
Attachments
Morchella esculenta - Common Morel(#01).jpg
Morchella esculenta - Common Morel.
Morchella esculenta - Common Morel(#02).jpg
Morchella esculenta - Common Morel.

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:55 pm

Lancashire Lad wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:54 pm

Regards,
Mike.
Hello,

in my personal opinion it is T. cupularis which has a stem, whereas T. catinus is (nearly) unstipitate like a Peziza species ....

best regards,
Andreas

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:43 pm

mollisia wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:55 pm
Hello,

in my personal opinion it is T. cupularis which has a stem, whereas T. catinus is (nearly) unstipitate like a Peziza species ....

best regards,
Andreas
Interesting.

In my local area, T.cupularis I've previously found, (and microscopically examined), have had at best a very short stem, being +/- sessile.
Those in my photo above were found on an informal foray with friends, more than 100 miles from home.
It would appear that depending on which literature you are reading at the time, both species can be either sessile, or with deeply embedded stem, or with any length of stem in-between. :roll:

With very similar macro/micro characterisatics, and other than for marginal differences in spore widths, it seems that the more reliable way of differentiating between the two species, would likely be, (as was the case here), the presence or lack of "hooks" on the paraphyses.

Regards,
Mike.

roy betts
Frequent user

Post by roy betts » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:52 am

Found the last day of May in Essex on bare soil under Pinus. Only seen this once before, 20 years ago. A suitably rare species for my 300th. Lepiota record (excluding Echinoderma!), and now the earliest Lepiota on my database (also found in the area were early fruitings of Russula, Laccaria and Amanita spp.).
Lepiota lilacea is characterised by the dark brown-black underside of the ring and microscopically by the hymeniform cap cells and the small, ellipsoid, non-dextrinoid spores.
Attachments
2017 June - Lepiota 004a.JPG
Lepiota lilacea
2017 June - Lepiota 005a.JPG
Lepiota lilacea

John Watt
User

Post by John Watt » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:46 pm

Hi Mike,

I thought as a follow on to the Morella esculenta, I'd post this one of Gyromitra esculenta, the False Morel, which apparently causes most poisonings in North America; this one of 4 found in New Brunswick under Aspen and Pine. The toxin is monomethylhydrazine.
Not sure why ever it was called esculenta ?!
In UK, 358 records, though none since 2015.

Cheers,

John Watt
Attachments
Gyromitra esculenta1.v01.JPG
Gyromitra esculenta

roy betts
Frequent user

Post by roy betts » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:36 pm

My third Russula of the year. Collected today, in an urban setting, quite a few fruit bodies in grass under Oak: Russula odorata.
Attachments
2017 June - Russula oderata 002a.JPG
Russula odorata