Ok so probably a silly question

NellyDee
Regular user

Ok so probably a silly question

Post by NellyDee » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:08 pm

Yesterday while driving along the Tay I was surprised to see a group of large Parasol Mushrooms (Lepiota procera), having not seen any fungi so far this year (well just a few Polypore), I thought this was maybe a tad early, or have I got my seasons wrong?

Leif
Frequent user

Re: Ok so probably a silly question

Post by Leif » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:19 am

No, it is not uncommon in the warmer months, although less common in July unless wet. I don't suppose you've had a wee bit of rain? You might also see Agaricus species. My lawn has loads of Conocybe lactea, and one or two other species.

NellyDee
Regular user

Post by NellyDee » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:02 am

Yes it has been very wet here and still is, almost getting to despair mode :roll: However, having said I had seen no fungi, went up into my woodland area this morning to find loads of Boletus calopus and a bank of Cantharellus cibarius just peeping through the moss.
It is probably a memory thing but I thought it was around August that fungi started appearing around here.

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:16 pm

NellyDee wrote:Yes it has been very wet here and still is, almost getting to despair mode :roll: However, having said I had seen no fungi, went up into my woodland area this morning to find loads of Boletus calopus and a bank of Cantharellus cibarius just peeping through the moss.
It is probably a memory thing but
I thought it was around August that fungi started appearing around here.
Hi Nelly
dare I suggest you mean "larger fungi"? I think you'll find there are fungi around all year long - though I would admit you would probably not notice them from a moving car . . . . ;)

best wishes
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

NellyDee
Regular user

Post by NellyDee » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:16 am

Of course you are right Chris :) It is only around my patch that I really take a good look :roll:

roy betts
Frequent user

Post by roy betts » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:39 am

It's been fairly wet here too (since the middle of June) and there are lots of fungi about.
It is early for Parasols though; I've 6 records for them in July but only in the years 2005, 2007, 2011 and 2012 (both Macrolepiota procera & mastoidea).
On forays/audits on the 18th and 22nd. June we recorded 51 and 64 species respectively (including Russula, Boletus, Agaricus & Inocybe spp.).
By 2nd. July it was still damp enough to get 33 species on another foray, including the appearance of a lot of grassland Entolomas (4 species).
The following day across the local fields I found two Waxcaps (H. cantharellus and ingrata).

NellyDee
Regular user

Post by NellyDee » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:15 pm

Thanks for the info Roy. I intend to have a good foray this weekend - if it stops raining. I might find something new here, with the odd weather a number of plants not seen here before have appeared so it might be the same on the fungi front.

NellyDee
Regular user

Post by NellyDee » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:17 am

OK so took a wander and apart from Boletus calopus and Cantharellus there is an amazing amount of peziza vesiculosa, most I have ever seen here. Usually only see a few 'clumps' here and there but this looks like it is trying to form a carpet all over woodland area floor. (You will probably correct me on the name ;) )
DSCF4494.JPG