Problems Accessing BMS E-Journals?

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Problems Accessing BMS E-Journals?

Post by Lancashire Lad » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:26 pm

Hi all,

Is anyone else experiencing problems signing into the Science Direct website in order to gain access to electronic copies of BMS Journals?

I received the usual email alert today, that the latest issue of Field Mycology was now available online.

I tried to sign in to view it, but could not get past the Science Direct sign-in screen.

I eventually resorted to changing password etc. but still can't sign in.

I've sent a message to Science Direct (copied below), and have also advised BMS directly, but am wondering if others are experiencing the same problem?

Regards,
Mike.

I am a member of the British Mycological Society, and have paid additional subscription fees in order to take advantage, via Science Direct, of electronic access to current/back issues of Field Mycology Journal etc.

I have had this arrangement, and have used the Science Direct website to access the journals for two years or more, without problem.

Today, I received an email alert from Science Direct, to advise that the latest issue of Field Mycology, (Volume 17, Issue 2 , Pages 37-72, April 2016), is available to view/download.

I have tried several times, without success to sign in to the Science Direct website, in order to access that journal.

I am certain that I had not forgotten my username/password, but eventually resorted to asking for a new password link email, which I then used to create a new password.

Even after that, the Science Direct sign in page still keeps telling me that I have entered an invalid username/password combination.

What is going on here?
I have used this service for two years without problem - I have, until today, always been able to sign in without problem, and have not (until today) had any reason to change my access details.

Please investigate this situation as a matter of some urgency, as I am currently unable to sign in and view the journals for which I have paid additional subscription fees to BMS.

Kind regards . . . .
Common sense is not so common.

Flaxton
Frequent user

Re: Problems Accessing BMS E-Journals?

Post by Flaxton » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:50 pm

Mike
I have never had an email telling me the next edition is available so you are one step ahead of me there.
I have also just tried to log in and been rejected from one part of the site but managed to get myself logged in using a different route. Unfortunately even though it show my name at the top right of the page it also says I have only Guest access so it is still showing the prices to pay for each of the articles.
Let us know what feedback you get.
Mal

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:23 pm

Hi Mal,

I too managed to access the Elsevier/Science Direct site as a "guest" - but I think anyone who goes to the site can do so.

Effectively as a guest, you are not signed in as someone with journal "viewing permissions", so I suspect you have exactly the same problem that I have.

Since posting, I've had some email dialogue with Norman at BMS, and despite another password reset, (which both Norman and myself have tried), the Science Direct site is still rejecting the sign-in as invalid username/password combination.

Norman accepts that I'm using legitimate username and password, and has advised that he's now emailed Elsevier directly, and asked them to completely reset my account, and issue me with a temporary password.

I'm currently awaiting response contact by Elsevier.

I'll let you know how things progress.

Regards,
Mike.

Flaxton
Frequent user

Post by Flaxton » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:24 pm

Thanks Mike

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:08 pm

I meant to mention that if I recall correctly, the email alerts option for new issues was something that needed opting into, at the time when I set up the Science Direct account. (Which I set up as per instructions originally supplied by BMS).

I'd imagine that the option will still be there in your Science Direct "profile" - but you will need to be able to properly sign-in, before you will be able to access your "profile".

Regards,
Mike.

David H
User

Post by David H » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:06 pm

Hi, I noticed the same problem when I tried to follow the link from the email notification. However, when I entered the web address I normally use..
www.sciencedirect.com/bms
..everything worked. Maybe it was just the email link that was faulty?

Regards, David

Waxcap
Frequent user

Post by Waxcap » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:39 am

On the subject of E- Journals:

I'm sure I'm being dim here but is there a way that you can download the current journal as one .pdf document instead of as individual .pdf pages?

Dave

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:49 am

Hi David,

I have been using the same URL to which you link - i.e. http://www.sciencedirect.com/bms

When I access that page, and click on the sign-in tab at top right, I see this: -
Image 1.jpg
Typing in my username and password then results in the appearance of this page: -
Image 2.jpg
And no matter how many times I might retype my username and password, the same page reappears after each attempt.

At time of typing this, I have still received no response from Elsevier :roll:

Regards,
Mike.

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:52 am

Waxcap wrote:On the subject of E- Journals:

I'm sure I'm being dim here but is there a way that you can download the current journal as one .pdf document instead of as individual .pdf pages?

Dave
I agree that it is time consuming doing it page by page. (but at least it then gives you the opportunity to index individual articles).

As far as I'm aware, there's no way to download the entire journal as a single pdf.

Regards,
Mike.

EDIT - Above, I should have said article by article (and not page by page) - as the individual pdf downloads relate to the journal's articles and each pdf may contain several pages worth of info & illustrations.
Last edited by Lancashire Lad on Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Waxcap
Frequent user

Post by Waxcap » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:08 am

Thanks mike.