Polyporus brumalis or P.ciliatus

marksteer
Frequent user

Polyporus brumalis or P.ciliatus

Post by marksteer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:28 pm

Help please! Polypore found in VC41 Glamorgan by Emma Williams seems to be P.brumalis Winter Polypore - season and 2-3 pores per mm but showing 'spikes' on margin. This seems to indicate P.ciliatus but that has pores 4-7 per mm according to Buczacki et al. USBx10 photo of margin and pores attached.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Attachments
USBx10 Coed Ely 10march2016.jpg
'The more I know the more I realise I don't know'

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Polyporus brumalis or P.ciliatus

Post by Chris Yeates » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:53 pm

Hi Mark
P. brumalis for me - it can have a ciliate margin - compare with: http://nefsg.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2 ... umalis.jpg; pores per mm. is the important character.
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:03 pm

Chris Yeates wrote:Hi Mark
P. brumalis for me - it can have a ciliate margin - compare with: http://nefsg.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2 ... umalis.jpg; pores per mm. is the important character.
Chris
Hi Chris, Many thanks image looks very similar and pores 2-3 per mm so P.brumalis. I have seen reference to P.brumail var ciliatus is this accepted name?
Mark

Flaxton
Frequent user

Post by Flaxton » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:50 pm

Mark
As far as I can make out P.brumail var ciliatus is not valid. In fact Polyporus brumalis and P ciliatus are now according to Index fungorum both Lentinus :evil:

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:59 pm

Flaxton wrote:Mark
As far as I can make out P.brumail var ciliatus is not valid. In fact Polyporus brumalis and P ciliatus are now according to Index fungorum both Lentinus :evil:
Hi Mal, Thanks. More name changes to confuse mere mortals like me. For the moment I will stick with 'Polyporus' for these.
Waxcaps - now up to over 90 species and not just genus name changes but species name changes!!
Mark

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:38 pm

Flaxton wrote:. . . . . In fact Polyporus brumalis and P ciliatus are now according to Index fungorum both Lentinus :evil:
Not really "in fact"; generic placement will always be a matter of opinion. Also, to be absolutely accurate it is not Index Fungorum which is suggesting this (IF is purely a nomenclatural database) but Species Fungorum (note how the webpage background colour changes).

Lentinus is a problematic genus. This group of Polyporus spp. may well be better placed in Polyporellus - see:
http://www.mycologia.org/content/107/3/460. I wouldn't spend any time worrying about it we all know what we mean.
Chris

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:58 pm

Chris Yeates wrote:
Flaxton wrote:. . . . . In fact Polyporus brumalis and P ciliatus are now according to Index fungorum both Lentinus :evil:
Not really "in fact"; generic placement will always be a matter of opinion. Also, to be absolutely accurate it is not Index Fungorum which is suggesting this (IF is purely a nomenclatural database) but Species Fungorum (note how the webpage background colour changes).

Lentinus is a problematic genus. This group of Polyporus spp. may well be better placed in Polyporellus - see:
http://www.mycologia.org/content/107/3/460. I wouldn't spend any time worrying about it we all know what we mean.
Chris
Many thanks Chris for your reassurance. I am not getting sleepless nights about changes with nomenclature - too much to worry about trying to identify fungi with current names !!
Mark

Flaxton
Frequent user

Post by Flaxton » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:51 pm

Chris
Does that mean we can ignore the Bolete changes as well :D
Mal

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:00 am

Flaxton wrote:Chris
Does that mean we can ignore the Bolete changes as well :D
Mal
What was good enough for my all-time mycological hero (see avatar) is good enough for me ;) http://www.indexfungorum.org/names/Name ... dID=215073

Flaxton
Frequent user

Post by Flaxton » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:14 am

Chris
If you tripped over a Hygrocybe calyptriformis (I know you wouldn't be actually looking for it) would you call it Porpolomopsis calyptriformis as per Wikipedia, Humidicutis calyptriformis as Species Fungorum, Hygrocybe calyptriformis var. calyptriformis from FRDBI, the Pink Waxcap from the published English Names or The Balerina? :? :? :?
Mal
PS or would you just stand on it and insist you didn't see it?

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:54 pm

If you tripped over a Hygrocybe calyptriformis (I know you wouldn't be actually looking for it) would you call it Porpolomopsis calyptriformis as per Wikipedia, Humidicutis calyptriformis as Species Fungorum, Hygrocybe calyptriformis var. calyptriformis from FRDBI, the Pink Waxcap from the published English Names or The Balerina? :? :? :?
Mal
I much prefer 'The Ballerina'! This is one we find fairly frequently in VC41. Hygrocybe calyptripformis when we record. Still a fair amount of unimproved pasture in Wales.
Mark

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:28 pm

Mal
* I use a relational database for records, so the 'hook' for the species doesn't change - change the name to the preferred one in the Species file and all the records change along with it
* I might be looking for it - I did last year, and got some excellent images for the 'plate'
* I would not stand on it
* Never been a ballet fan - though I do like a good opera (Italian, sung in the original language for preference)
* I would call it "calyptriformis" when talking to fellow mycologists
* If publishing an article etc. I would try to work out the most convincing "current" name and use that, or let the editor use their preferred name
* I wouldn't worry too much about it - these things are inevitable; the problems arise when someone decides that what we have been calling "X. calyptriformis" is actually a complex of two or more taxa . . . .
Chris