Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

marksteer
Frequent user

Re: Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Post by marksteer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:23 pm

Scarlet Elfcup Sarcoscypha austriaca first sign of them in this location (Brynna Woods NR) this season. On probably Salix in very damp area. Microscope work on specimens from here in recent years all proved to be this species. Only confirmed record in VC41 as far as I know in recent years for Ruby S. coccinea is Coed y Bwl NR. Anyone finding this latter species?
Attachments
2017-12-27 11.47.40.jpg
'The more I know the more I realise I don't know'

Heucherella
User

Re: Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Post by Heucherella » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:12 pm

Sarcoscypha austriaca , the Scarlet Elf Cup. Only a photo from my phone as was just out walking with friends.
Attachments
DSC_6393.JPG
Sarcoscypha austriaca
New at this, so full of questions!

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:39 pm

Ophiobolus ponticus Petr.
Ophiobolus ponticus.jpg
The background information is all in the image. This is the second British record - see: http://www.fieldmycology.net/FRDBI/FRDB ... BNum=62627. More about the species here (Paul Cannon has updated the info based on this collection): http://fungi.myspecies.info/all-fungi/o ... s-ponticus

cheers
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

roy betts
Frequent user

Post by roy betts » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:50 am

This was spotted about the 14th April by my sister-in-law, growing in last years tomato 'gro-bags' in her greenhouse. She'd pulled them up as 'buttons' and to me the buff-ochre caps looked like an Agaricus or maybe Calocybe gambosa. The gills were whitish but there was no mealy smell.
With a little encouragement in a moist environment they expanded to 50mm (see attached images).
The gill edge was clearly fimbriate: the lecythiform cystidia and spore colour pointed to Conocybe and with that stout structure it could only be Conocybe intrusa ! Spore shape & size confirm the ID. First time I've seen this.
Attachments
Conocybe intrusa 005a.JPG
Conocybe intrusa
Conocybe intrusa 001a.JPG
Conocybe intrusa 3
Conocybe intrusa 005a.JPG
Conocybe intrusa 3
Conocybe intrusa 001a.JPG
Conocybe intrusa 1
Conocybe intrusa 004a.JPG
Conocybe intrusa 2
Last edited by roy betts on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:50 am

Sorry, Roy. I had to restore from a backup so your images will need to be uploaded again.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

roy betts
Frequent user

Post by roy betts » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:41 am

Adam,
I have gone into 'edit post' and loaded the 3 Conocybe images again. For info:I had issues the first time and had to load each image separately. I had to do the same for the second uploading also. My screen is showing 3 images and 2 'blanks'.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:16 am

St George's Mushrooms - Calocybe gambosa yesterday
Attachments
StGeorgesMushroom.jpg
Calocybe gambosa
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Post by Chris Johnson » Sun May 13, 2018 7:32 am

Vouauxiella lichenicola immersed in apothecia of Lecanora chlarotera
Attachments
Vouauxiella-lichenicola-01.jpg
Vouauxiella-lichenicola-03.jpg

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Sun May 13, 2018 6:50 pm

Interesting Chris
not being a lichenologist I wasn't (to my shame) aware how frequent the host is: https://species.nbnatlas.org/species/NBNSYS0000018579 . . . . I shall keep an eye out for these Vouauxiella spp. (once I've learnt to recognise the Lecanora :oops: )

Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Post by Chris Johnson » Mon May 14, 2018 7:24 am

Each taxon on an island is more finite than elsewhere so encourages a wider perspective. Our small recording group look at a range of taxa and feed off one another. The plus side is a better understanding of the environment ... but one will never develop a vast knowledge within an individual taxon such as yourself.

Regards, Chris

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Post by Chris Johnson » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:52 am

Sphaerellothecium minutum.

Smith, et alThe Lichens of Great Britain and Ireland note: 'The most common lichenicolous fungus on S. fragilis is the small ‘pyromycete’ Sphaerellothecium minutum Hafellner ..."
I'm grateful to Paul Cannon who advised it was what I have, told me what to look for, and provided literature. He will be credited with the identification. A sample has gone to Kew. Apparently the third British record.
Attachments
Sphaerellothecium-minutum-11.jpg
Sphaerellothecium-minutum-12.jpg

Waxcap
Frequent user

Post by Waxcap » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:20 pm

After such a long and hot dry spell I was surprised to see this growing out of an old railway sleeper around a raised flower bed. The dark gill edge confused me at first but it gave a pink spore print and it turned out to be Pluteus atromarginatus, one I haven't seen before. The cap is around 5cm, it has horned pleurocystidia and no cystidia on the gill edge.

Dave
Attachments
Pluteus_atromarginatus-4.jpg
Pluteus atromarginatus