Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Re: Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Post by Chris Johnson » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:52 am

Metacapnodium juniperi
Attachments
Metacapnodium-juniperi-07.jpg
Metacapnodium-juniperi-08.jpg

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Post by adampembs » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:14 am

No crystals so Conocybe pubescens (first Conocybe I've keyed!)
Attachments
DSCF4161-001.JPG
Conocybe pubescens
Adam Pollard
Site admin

roy betts
Frequent user

Post by roy betts » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:04 am

Talking of Conocybes Adam, here's one I photographed yesterday; following generally accepted current terminology, it's a Pholiotina of course.
It's growing in compost in an old plant tray. I had spotted it a few days before and assumed it was either C. rugosa or arrhenii both of which I had recorded before at home growing in similar situations (and both are quite common). The only odd thing I noticed was the very dark brown stipe below the ring.
Under the microscope (a dry mount, looking down on the face of a gill at low power) the problem was instantly solved: it had 2-spored basidia which means it can only be one species Conocybe (Pholiotina) teneroides. One I have only seen a couple of times previously. To make absolutely sure I also checked the spore size and shape of the cheilocystidia.
The British Checklist still follows BFF Vol.3 (1982) and splits this species into two: Conocybe blattaria and percincta. More modern treatments, FAN6(2005) and FE14 (2009) conclude there is just one species.
Attachments
2017 Novrmber - Pholiotina 002a.JPG
Pholiotina teneroides
2017 Novrmber - Pholiotina 004a.JPG
Pholiotina teneroides

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:55 pm

They are in beautiful condition! Photos not bad either ! :)
Adam Pollard
Site admin

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:28 am

Coprinellus domesticus - Firerug inkcap - nicely showing how it gets it's English name!
Attachments
DSCF4227.JPG
Coprinellus domesticus - Firerug inkcap
Adam Pollard
Site admin

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:32 pm

Hypocreopsis rhododendri on Prunus spinosa
Attachments
P1040424.JPG
Hypocreopsis rhododendri on Prunus spinosa
Adam Pollard
Site admin