Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Post by Chris Yeates » Wed May 08, 2019 12:12 am

Interesting
So is that a grazed area made by the detritivore/herbivore/(fungivore?) millipede? One assumes that a predatory centipede would have no interest in fungi.
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Post by adampembs » Wed May 08, 2019 11:32 pm

Chris Yeates wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:12 am
Interesting
So is that a grazed area made by the detritivore/herbivore/(fungivore?) millipede? One assumes that a predatory centipede would have no interest in fungi.
It certainly looks like it. As far as centipedes go, maybe they would use them as shelter or something? Or go there to prey on something. I remember collecting dunel morels and being shocked by all the woodlice harbouring inside.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

marc t
User

Post by marc t » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:19 pm

Orange birch boletus (Leccinum versipelle) in lovely ancient woodland. A great foraging day in late September...

Marc
P1100833.JPG

marc t
User

Post by marc t » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:50 pm

....and one from today. Blusher (Amanita rubescens) in garden under oak following a flush of various mushrooms over the last week - strange because it's been very dry recently.

Marc
Blusheringarden10.07.19.jpg

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:46 pm

marc t wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:19 pm
Orange birch boletus (Leccinum versipelle) in lovely ancient woodland. A great foraging day in late September...

MarcP1100833.JPG
Might this not possibly be Leccinum aurantiacum? Impossible to check now of course . . .
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:28 am

marc t wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:19 pm

MarcP1100833.JPG
Hi Marc, just a note that we dont encourage foraging on this site. Unlike, say blackberries or nettles, fungi very rarely appear in such numbers where foraging doesn't has an impact. In most cases, you have to take most or all of what you find, which is removing its ability to spread further.
I would make a closer parallel with picking orchids for a flower vase. In fact, sometimes you see much more abundance of orchids. Perhaps you meant "foraying"?
Adam Pollard
Site admin

marc t
User

Post by marc t » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:07 pm

Adam - What a strange response! Foray / forage are pretty interchangeable words. However, if you're suggesting picking orchids, that's very ill-advised - many are extremely rare some are protected. I'm sure there are plenty of contributors on this forum who enjoy collecting wild mushrooms to eat but I can move to another forum if this is unacceptable..?

Marc

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:33 am

Hi Marc, no foray and forage mean different things entirely as you can see in any dictionary.

You are welcome to take part in our forum, however we have a rule against identifying fungi for the purposes of eating.
The same rule applies to fungi as to orchids. Few of the prize edible fungi are very common and many are considerably rarer than say Bee Orchids or Early purple. We generally have a culture of discussing fungi for conservation and scientific purposes. If you can accept this culture, we would welcome your participation.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:11 am

marc t wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:07 pm
. . . . Foray / forage are pretty interchangeable words . . . .
Whilst it might be asserted that (as a verb) the word “foray” has a definition that is somewhat vague, i.e.: - “a short visit, especially with a known purpose”, the word “forage” has an altogether more specific definition, i.e.: - “to go from place to place searching for things that you can eat or use”.
I would readily agree that the two words are frequently misconstrued by those unfamiliar with their usage, but amongst those who have any basic mycological knowledge, it would be perfectly clear that “foraying” specifically means going out looking for fungi for recording or other mycological purposes, whereas “foraging” specifically means going out looking for fungi to eat.
You will never see a local/regional fungus group issuing a “forage” list to its members. :oops: ;)

As Adam clarifies above, UK Fungi is primarily a conservation oriented forum, and anyone who respects that ethos whilst using the forum is more than welcome to participate.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

marc t
User

Post by marc t » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:51 pm

Adam & Mike - I think this probably isn't the right forum for me and it's time to move on. I think I'll give this fungi foray site a go http://www.fungiforays.co.uk/. All the best Marc

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:14 pm

marc t wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:51 pm
Adam & Mike - I think this probably isn't the right forum for me and it's time to move on. I think I'll give this fungi foray site a go http://www.fungiforays.co.uk/. All the best Marc
That is, of course, your prerogative. - I wish you well.
The site to which you link is a commercial enterprise, created to promote business for the site owner's fungi foraging "events".
It has no free to use forum participation, so no facility to actually learn anything about fungi other than by attending one of those foraging events and paying for the privilege.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:14 am

marc t wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:51 pm
I see no forum there...

A little bit of picking fungi for eating is sustainable, the problem is the foraging craze, and the commercial foraging stripping woodlands bare. I wont be a hypocrite here; what got me interested was foraging (10 years ago) but now I very rarely indulge as I now know they are not so common as blackberries or nettles.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... gi-pickers
Adam Pollard
Site admin