Can anyone identify this?

Corticoids, Crusts, Brackets, and any non-mushroom like fungi growing on wood
Phungiphinder
New user

Can anyone identify this?

Post by Phungiphinder » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:17 pm

A couple of weeks ago while walking in Southwest Scotland I spotted this attractive display on what I think was an Alder tree. I did not expect to see much fruiting fungi at this time of year so just had my phone to get a picture. The texture of the fruitbodies was like a soft nylon brush and about two inches long, in some places you could see where it had pushed the bark off of the branches. I have tried to identify it using some books at home and searching on line but can't find anything like it so I am putting this out to the combined brains of UK Fungi in the hope that someone can help.
Attachments
20190102_103203.jpg
Mystery fungus

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Can anyone identify this?

Post by Lancashire Lad » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:47 pm

Hi, and welcome to UK Fungi.

Re your find - It isn't a fungus, (although fungus has a role in its formation), It's Hair Ice! - See this thread: -

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=295&p=7497&hilit=hair+ice#p1486
Hair Ice (02) - 26-11-16.jpg
Hair Ice 1
Hair Ice (03) - 26-11-16.jpg
Hair Ice 2
Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

Phungiphinder
New user

Re: Can anyone identify this?

Post by Phungiphinder » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:58 pm

Wow that was quick!
Many thanks Lancashire lad for your quick and very illuminating reply. I realise now that I was lucky to have seen this,it was a very still, cold morning so the article in your link makes perfect sense.
I started photographing fungi a couple of years ago and have been able to identify some of my images from books but I do have a few mysterious ones which I will post on this site soon and hopefully gain more insight.