Cobalt Crust Terana caerula

Corticoids, Crusts, Brackets, and any non-mushroom like fungi growing on wood
marksteer
Frequent user

Cobalt Crust Terana caerula

Post by marksteer » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:25 pm

Just to see if I can upload photo without reducing size! Also this is a common species certainly in Glamorgan VC41. Substrate is Garden Privet Ligustrum ovalifolium but it s not picky. Photo didn't upload ' file too large' :( My photos about 5.79MB which I thought now should be OK??
'The more I know the more I realise I don't know'

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Cobalt Crust Terana caerula

Post by Lancashire Lad » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately the maximum image file-size had to be dropped back down.

Originally, the maximum file-size for uploaded image attachments was 400Kb.

Then, on October 23rd 2017, Adam increased the size massively, to 6MB, as per this post, which went onto the forum at 5:15pm: -
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1826

it quickly became obvious that this was causing unforeseen problems, and Adam posted a further notice the next day, at 5:43pm, advising that the file-size had been dropped back down: -
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1828

Unfortunately, (I don't know why :oops: ), the body text of that second post seems to have been deleted on 1st of November, and only the title can now be read.

If I recall correctly, the maximum file-size, (after dropping it back down), was still slightly more than the original 400Kb, but I can't remember whether it now stands at a maximum of 450Kb or 500Kb.
EDIT - Just had a look in the ACP, and maximum image file-size, (each image), for attachments is currently 500Kb.

Hopefully Adam will see this topic and advise accordingly.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:35 am

Thanks Mike. Re-sizing photos for me is too complicated :( Mark

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi Mark,

Firstly, (and just for clarity for others who might read this), we aren't only discussing making an image physically smaller or larger - i.e altering its "pixel dimensions".
Sometimes, doing just that might be enough to reduce it down to within UK Fungi's maximum allowed file-size.
(i.e.: - the image has reduced overall pixel dimensions, and consequently has a smaller file-size).

However, that (usually) only works when the original image doesn't greatly exceed UK Fungi's maximum allowance.
It's a bit "trial and error", because it depends on your camera settings etc. etc.

It is worth noting that resizing as above does not, ( to all intents and purposes), affect image quality. - The smaller image will appear to have just the same image quality that the original larger image had.

However, if the original image "file-size" is considerably greater than UK Fungi's maximum allowed size, then you will probably need to do the above, and then "compress" or "resample" the image too.
Compressing/resampling can have a far greater effect on image file-size, because you are playing with the image quality.
Image compression is a trade-off between a much smaller file-size, and the "quality" (i.e. how the image looks on screen or in print).
But if you keep the compression within reasonable boundaries, loss of image quality isn't generally noticeable.

You say that resizing photos is too complicated for you?
There are many different software options for doing so, each with its own slight differences. (For example, I use PaintShopPro).
The process really is very straightforward and quick to do, once you have done it a few times.

I don't know if you've seen it, but this post by Adam, describes a step by step procedure for both re-sizing and compressing images, and where you can get the software download needed. This is a good as anything if you don't already have image processing software: -
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=549#p3066

Image resizing comes in handy for all sorts of reasons, so it's worth the initial effort to learn how it's done.
I really do recommend that you give it a proper try-out.

As a pretty keen photographer, I'd be well and truly lost if I wasn't able to do it.
Without a word of a lie, after getting them from the camera and onto the computer, every single image that I keep, (and I've got many thousands), will have gone through that process (along with possibly several others, such as: - sharpening / colour balance corrections / colour saturation / brightness / etc. etc. :shock: :oops: :lol:

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:28 pm

Back in the days of dial-up, a 500k image took all night to download. You newcomers to the internet are spoiled by fibre!
A real world scenario is ordering a train full of wine, because you want one glass.

I'll try again with the plugin soon. But I'll need to alter my custom code so both the tile view and the resizer work. At least the re-sizer reduces the file size by Javascript at the user's end, so only a small file gets transferred over the Internet.

Happy New Year! :)
Adam Pollard
Site admin

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:37 am

Hi Adam, I remember dial-up :) Me, photos and computers don't mix well unfortunately :( I looked at your guide to re-sizing photos but it was black magic to me. I will try photo of T.c. from usb microscope which should be small enough file to post.

Happy New Year!
Mark

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:10 pm

Tried upping limit again to 6MB, see how this goes.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:08 pm

Hi Adam, Many thanks . It looks like it has added now :) Mark
Attachments
2017-11-17 10.06.09.jpg