Laxitextum bicolor

Corticoids, Crusts, Brackets, and any non-mushroom like fungi growing on wood
Leif
Frequent user

Laxitextum bicolor

Post by Leif » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:00 pm

This one had me puzzled for a while. I was out looking for example of common Stereum species in North Hampshire and thought this looked nice, but it showed no colour changes, and the microscopy was all wrong. A few weeks of floundering around, eliminating Hymenochaete, Xylobolus and other candidates, and I happened on Laxitextum bicolor which seemed to fit. After a few attempts at microscopy, I am now happy with the ID. Now the bizarre thing is that the following week the same thing happened, this time in South Hampshire, and yet there are less than 100 records for this species in the UK. Yet again it seems that a given species fruits in unison over a wide area. Perhaps it is a good year for this species or perhaps it is underreported being a 'boring' Stereum lookalike that is easily ignored in favour of more exciting species. However, it is perhaps not so hard to ID on sight, as it is distinguished by a Stereum habit, with a velvety dark brown upper surface, pale fertile surface which bruises darker, and distinctive pale edge.

On fallen oak branch:
_DSC2245 Brown crust.jpg
Small amyloid warty spores:
Laxitextum bicolor spores x100 Melzers - composite.jpg
Cystidia filled with fluid, mounted in KOH:
_DSC2481 Laxitextum bicolor cystidia x40 in KOH.jpg
_DSC2480 Laxitextum bicolor cystidia x40 in KOH.jpg
South Hampshire collection on fallen beech trunk:
_DSC2422 Brown crust.jpg

mushroom mike
Regular user

Re: Laxitextum bicolor

Post by mushroom mike » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:52 pm

Good work.You must have the patience of a saint. Thanks to you I'll keep an eye out for this.
Mike.

Leif
Frequent user

Post by Leif » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:56 am

The stubbornness of a donkey would be more accurate. :D It'll be interesting to see if you also come across it.

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:50 pm

Nice work Leif - must look out for this - we're entering that Corticiaceae time of the year . . . .
I assume you have downloaded all the volumes of Corticiaceae of North Europe from http://www.mykoweb.com/systematics/literature/

On the info you give, very early in the key in Vol. 1 ornamented amyloid spores immediately gets it down to 7 genera; if there aren't clamps you're down to 5 genera, no generative hyphae (soft pliable fruitbody, even before microscopy would suggest that) down to 4 genera, small spores down to Laxitextum and Gloeocystidiellum (as then used); fruit bodies reflexed and not totally resupinate knocks out the latter. Turning to volume 4 there is only one species of Laxitextum, L. bicolor, and the excellent drawings there conform perfectly with your clear images.

Easy when you know the answer already ;), but shows that that key works well. As one might suspect with spores like that it's in the Russulales. Sadly one is not always blessed with a nice character like small amyloid spores. I was fortunate that when I decided to have a closer look at a rather insignificant looking white resupinate on Rhododendron there was an odontoid hymenium, thick heavily-encrusted cystidia with a narrow lumen, and very distinctive spores: download/file.php?id=3653&mode=view.

As mentioned earlier, winter can be a good time for corticioids, often entailing shifting fallen branches etc and looking at the undersides (and replacing the habitat when you have done any necessary collecting! A microscope is almost always a necessity mind, but at least that literature is now available (free) to all. Good hunting everyone, and lets keep this thread active . . .
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Leif
Frequent user

Post by Leif » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:31 am

I was chatting to members of the Hampshire Fungus Recording Group at the weekend, and apparently this species is now not uncommon. Whether this is because it is spreading, or because the HFRG members are now looking at Stereum lookalikes is unclear.

Ganoderma resinaceum
Regular user

Post by Ganoderma resinaceum » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:52 pm

Saw something very morphologically similar at Wrest Park at the weekend on a willow. Now a little annoyed I didn't take a sample.

Leif
Frequent user

Post by Leif » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:14 pm

There are several Stereum like species, possibly under-recorded due to being 'boring', and fairly hard to ID in my opinion, others may find them easy.