Help with i.d , hairy bracket!!

Corticoids, Crusts, Brackets, and any non-mushroom like fungi growing on wood
mushroom mike
Regular user

Help with i.d , hairy bracket!!

Post by mushroom mike » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:58 am

This pretty bracket fungus was found on a recent foray in mixed woodland. At first I thought it was Inonotus hispidus due to the hairy surface but then realised it was on pine. Nearby are a few pines that when examined look very much like scots pine. None of my reference books including Poroid Fungi of Europe states that I.hispidus is on pine so I am now thinking I.radiatus but that also isn't on pine. I took some microscopic details but couldn't get any spores to release until I wrapped it in damp newspaper for 12 hours then placed under a closed container for 8 hours and managed to reveal just a few sausage shaped spores. This again looks wrong for Inonotus. The fallen tree revealed white rot . Any help appreciated.

1. Pileus : Brown, sessile, very hairy, older brackets black. 6cm x 4cm. Amber guttation at margin.
2. Pores : isodiametric round, 4 per mm, cream.
3. Context : Brown, 10mm wide.
4. Tubes : 1mm long, bruising brown
5. Smell : Indistinctive
6. Spores 8 microns x 2.44, sausage shaped with a bent tip at the top.
Attachments
P1080169.JPG
P1080167.JPG
P1080164.JPG
2016-11-04_0001_100X.jpg minwear bracket.jpg
2016-11-02_0001_40X.jpg Pileus x 40.jpg
P1080171.JPG

Ganoderma resinaceum
Regular user

Re: Help with i.d , hairy bracket!!

Post by Ganoderma resinaceum » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:01 pm

I can see what you mean about it looking like I. hispidus. The first image, neglecting the fact it is on pine, isn't too far away from Daedaleopsis confragosa. However, I'd consider this to be part of the likely Heterbasidion annosum complex, judging by the host, the outward morphology of the bracket, and the pore structure. The white rot also tallies in. The caveat here would be I do not have an understanding of its microscopic qualities, and from my somewhat limited knowledge I cannot recall any other polypore that adopts such a form and induces a white rot on conifer butts.

http://www.first-nature.com/fungi/heter ... nnosum.php

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:03 pm

Are you sure that's on Pine?

It's difficult to make out any real detail because your photos are rather small, (and I'm no tree expert :oops: ), but that bark doesn't look like Pine to me.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

mushroom mike
Regular user

Post by mushroom mike » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:22 pm

The original post wouldn't let me add any more photos of the fallen tree, nearby tree and needles. Here they are .
Attachments
P1080172.JPG
P1080180.JPG
P1080207.JPG

Ganoderma resinaceum
Regular user

Post by Ganoderma resinaceum » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:35 pm

The bark on the first set of images looked like pine to me. Granted, it'd certainly gone down the route of decay a little, and thus the bark was not as discernibly pine-like as a living pine.

From the second set, it looks like a Scots pine. Seems to be two needles per attachment, and the slightly pinkish bark suggests it's not Pinus nigra (black pine).

mushroom mike
Regular user

Post by mushroom mike » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:45 pm

An online tree key put me to Scots pine as well, the 2 needle attachment look pretty convincing. Still the sausage spores are a real problem.
Mike.

Ganoderma resinaceum
Regular user

Post by Ganoderma resinaceum » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:52 pm

mushroom mike wrote:An online tree key put me to Scots pine as well, the 2 needle attachment look pretty convincing. Still the sausage spores are a real problem.
Mike.
No scope for it being Heterobasidion annosum? It is supposedly a species complex, so if there is some deviation from the norm for the spore shape perhaps that's a potential reason as to why. Note that this is only a hypothesis I plucked from relative thin air.

mushroom mike
Regular user

Post by mushroom mike » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:56 pm

Keep plucking G.resi,keep plucking.

Leif
Frequent user

Post by Leif » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:35 pm

The form matches Ischnoderma benzoinum but your spores are a bit large. If you check out my recent finds, you will see what I mean:

http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/Isch ... oinum.html

mushroom mike
Regular user

Post by mushroom mike » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:50 pm

WOW, that's an incredible likeness. I have a dried out sample for future analysis but this look bang on.Thank you very much. I will now be able to sleep tonight.
Mike.