Impaled moth, Benbecula

Impaled moth, Benbecula

Post by jeffnsue » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:23 am

Christine has suggested members might be interested in this photo of an Elephant Hawk impaled on barbed wire at Griminish on the shores of Loch Beg, Benbecula. The photograph was taken 3rd August. It shouts ‘shrike’, but the moth flies in May and that would be very late for an over-wintering GG Shrike. I showed the photo to RSPB at Stilligarry who could shed no light on it, and Steve Duffield said the moth must have either flown on to the spike or been blown on to it. I find that hard to believe. Interesting in any event: I see RB Shrike bred in Shetland and I wonder if one of those might have passed through. The sad part is we’ll never know, unless the RSPB belatedly publish a record of RB Shrike on Benbecula.

I must say I’m relieved to hear from Christine of the RBS sighting on North Uist, nobody seemed to want to attach any credibility to my shrike suggestion and I thought I must be going insane.

Jeff Hodgson
Elephant Hawk Forum.jpg

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Re: Impaled moth, Benbecula

Post by Chris Johnson » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:21 pm

This shouts Shrike activity and other impaled insects were found farther down the island this year, attributed to a Shrike. I don't have dates to hand but about that period.

Cheers, Chris

Frequent user

Post by diggleken » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:08 pm

I'd agree with that, seen Shrike larders a few times, Hawthorn, barbed wire etc, looks right to me.............

Regular user

Post by CJohnsonOHBR » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:27 am

Another OHBR member has just confirmed that he found 3 Dor Beetles impaled on barbed wire on 11 August at Askernish on South Uist. Can't be 100% certain but it appears that there was RB Shrike activity in the Uists during early August. There was a lso a sighting of a RB Shrike on North Uist on 31 August.
Circumstantial evidence, but a record of an elephant hawk-moth is always a good addition to our database.