Sedge in lawn

marksteer
Frequent user

Sedge in lawn

Post by marksteer » Sun May 17, 2015 9:23 pm

I know this maybe difficult but any ideas on what Sedges are commonly found in lawns? My lawn is quite damp with trees over hanging from wet scrub woodland - Oak, Ash and Birch nearest but lots of probably Goat Willow near. Probably slightly acid clay on southern edge of South Wales Coalfield.
I have a Rust on nettles in my garden which has second host on a variety of Sedges and would be interested to try to get to Sedge id. It may not be the one in my lawn though!
'The more I know the more I realise I don't know'

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Sedge in lawn

Post by Lancashire Lad » Tue May 19, 2015 12:15 pm

Hi Mark,

I'm assuming that the rust you are referring to is Puccinia urticata?

On FRDBI, the Puccinia urticata (complex?) consists of: -

Puccinia urticata var. biporula Zwetko 1993
Puccinia urticata var. urticae-acutae (Kleb.) Zwetko 1993
Puccinia urticata var. urticae-acutiformis (Kleb.) Zwetko 1993
Puccinia urticata var. urticae-flaccae (Hasler) Zwetko 1993
Puccinia urticata var. urticae-hirtae (Kleb.) Zwetko 1993
Puccinia urticata var. urticae-inflatae (Hasler) Zwetko 1993
Puccinia urticata var. urticae-paniceae (Mayor) Zwetko 1993
Puccinia urticata var. urticae-ripariae (Hasler) Zwetko 1993
Puccinia urticata var. urticae-vesicariae (Kleb.) Zwetko 1993
Puccinia urticata var. urticata F. Kern 1917

and the Carex species on which various P.urticata varieties have been recorded include:-
C. acuta, C. acutiformis, C. elata, C. flacca, C. hirta, C. nigra, C. pseudocyperus, C. riparia, C. rostrata, C. urens, C. vesicaria.

I wouldn't know which, if any of the above, are considered common in lawns.

Some good photos of the various parts of your sedge would be useful, but I'm not the world's best at identifying plant species, so expert botanist's opinion would more than likely be needed.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Tue May 19, 2015 6:29 pm

Hi Mike, I didn't think this was going to be easy!
Problem with Sedge in my lawn is I cut it! I have Pendulous Sedge about 20 metres from my nettles but Rust on this has secondary host on Ribes - Gooseberry and Currents in the locality so I will keep my eye out! I'm very much a beginner on Rusts so not so sure on how far I will get.
Nigel Stringer gave an excellent talk on Rusts on Saturday and I may have caught the 'Rust bug' ( any medication for Rust OCD?!)
Rust Fungus Red Data List and Census Catalogue for Wales: Ray Woods, Nigel Stringer, Debbie Evans and Arthur Chater is excellent.
I think available on Gareth Griffith's waxcap website.
Mark

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Tue May 19, 2015 6:48 pm

Hi Mark,

I've only recently become interested in rusts, so don't be thinking that I know much more about the subject than you do. :D

If you can get hold of a copy of the paperback version of Wilson & Henderson's British Rust Fungi, then do so.
Well worth the price in my opinion.
(I assume that you will already have downloaded those books that can be, from Adam's initial post on rust literature?).

I have the Rust Red Data List for Wales - and yes, it is excellent in all respects!
I know Debbie Evans as a member of the NWFG - she is very helpful.
Did you know that she has written a series of excellent rust articles for the beginner, which can be found in the online newsletters of the Herefordshire Fungus Survey Group. - They can be downloaded as pdf's.

They can be found by clicking on the issue numbers (the ones with lines underneath are hyperlinks) at the bottom of this page: -
http://www.herefordfungi.org/news.html - See specifically, issues 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, & 27.
NB: I have difficulty with the HFSG website, and have to view it at 150% zoom in order to see the pages correctly - I don't know whether you will need to do the same.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Tue May 19, 2015 7:34 pm

Hi Mike,
I haven't down loaded as I feel more comfortable with normal paper copies. I've asked Somerville Books for price and availability for some of Adam's suggestions. Maybe available on Amazon et al cheaper though.
I think 'sedge in lawn' is a lost cause!
Mark

JennyS
Regular user

Post by JennyS » Tue May 19, 2015 9:04 pm

Size and photo's would help but sedges can be difficult in the field, let alone from photographs and the best time for ID is often when the fruits are ripe. Probably not much help, but I had a lot of Spring Sedge, Carex caryophyllea growing in a damp, acidic lawn in SW Ireland.... Field Wood-rush, Luzula campestris often grows in lawns and can look similar to some sedges.

Some sedge photo's here: http://www.irishwildflowers.ie/more/sedge.html

Good luck!
Jenny
Jenny

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Tue May 19, 2015 9:25 pm

Many thanks Jenny but I think my lawn sedge is a lost cause! I think I will just stick with Puccinia urticata.
This one seems very difficult to get to var. particularly as with me finding plants not simple to identify with certainty.
Rusts in general are said to be easy to identify once you can identify host but as very much a beginner I'm not so sure!
Mark