Cladonia macilenta?

Steve
Frequent user

Cladonia macilenta?

Post by Steve » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:51 pm

Here are a couple more woodland Cladonias from Longshaw in our venture into this problematical but lovely genus. The first I very hesitantly name as Cladonia macilenta on its general appearance (simple podetia with not particularly convincing cups) and red tips. However, these red tips didn't have any asci, so must be immature or stunted. According to Dobson, C. macilenta, C. floerkeana and C. polydactyla can all be confused, depending on the stage of growth. I'm used to stunted lichen growth in the Peak District and Sheffield, which was far worse in the 1980's when I last did lichens. It does make these species more difficult I think. There was (or should that be "were") plenty of soredia, reacting yellow with KOH, as may or may not all these three species according to Dobson. This may well be a poorly developed version of another species.

The second looks like Cladonia polydactyla, this time with red tips, again presumably infertile/stunted apothecial growths.

The field photos seem to capture the grey-green colour of these Cladonias much more faithfully than the indoor images.
Steve
Cladonia macilenta.jpg
Cladonia macilenta?
Cladonia macilenta (2).jpg
Cladonia macilenta?
Cladonia polydactyla.JPG
Cladonia polydactyla?
Cladonia polydactyla2 .jpg
Cladonia polydactyla?