Parmelia saxatilis with apothecia

Steve
Frequent user

Parmelia saxatilis with apothecia

Post by Steve » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:40 pm

Hi,
We spotted apothecia on a Parmelia-type licen on acid gritstone, Peak District. I don’t think I’ve ever seen apothecia on Parmelia in the Peak District.
The reddish-green colour of the apothecia puzzled me as I know Parmelia usually have red-brown apothecia. However, it had been wet and I wonder if the algae were dominating the fungal colour.
Looking at Dobson’s (2005) key:
Thallus grey-green when dry. Upper surface K+ yellow (when absorbed onto tissue).
With isidia (yes).
White pseudocyphellae as white lines and dots. Coralloid isidia. No marginal cilia (yes).
This gives Parmelia saxatilis ( P. ernstiae excluded as it has a pruinose upper surface).
Simple or rarely squarrose rhizines (these look more furcate).
Apothecia lecanorine dark red-brown (these are reddish green) margins thin and frequently isidiate or crenulate (yes).
Spores simple 16-18 x 9-11 (these are a little smaller). (No reaction with KOH and then Lugol, but I only added Lugol once - not 3 times as in Dobson :o ).
Paraphyses look as in Dobson's diagram.
Medulla K+ red/orange (yes).
I presume this is fertile Parmelia saxatilis.
Steve
Attachments
1 Field Photo.JPG
Field photo
2 Stereo microscope.jpg
Apothecium, rhizoids, isidia, pseudocyphellae, KOH on surface, absorbed on tissue
3 Microscopy.jpg
In KOH and Methylene Blue. Ascus, spores and alga.
4 Lichen x 600 CRd.jpg
Ascus and paraphyses in Congo Red
5 Lichen x 600 KOH LUGbstack.jpg
Asci in KOH, then Lugol
6 Lichen x 600 KOH3.jpg
Algal layer in KOH

diggleken
Frequent user

Re: Parmelia saxatilis with apothecia

Post by diggleken » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:34 am

Hi Steve,
yes it is classic Parmelia saxatilis - I have a place here near me in Saddleworth where it fruits , seemingly , all the time -and apothecia are your colour and darken with age -they persist well. Not often found like this, but seem to fruit abundantly when in the right conditions .
Jennny S site shows your apothecia colour well:
http://www.irishlichens.ie/pages-lichen/l-03.html
And you may have missed you also have remnants of probably Marchandiomyces corallinus in your pics!
Nice to see Lichens being dealt with so comprehensively, nice one. :)
Cheers
Ken

Steve
Frequent user

Post by Steve » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:48 am

Hi Ken,
Nope! I spotted the little parasite in the piccie - it's abundant in parts of Longshaw.
One I haven't found on Physcia at Longshaw is Illiosporiopsis christiansenii - I searched all year. I found it the first time I looked at Idle Valley in Nottinghamshire. It's been found by Alan Smith in north Sheffield, so it's around.
Steve
Attachments
Marchandiomyces.JPG
Marchandiomyces fungus parasite on Parmelia saxatilis.
Illosporiopsis christiansenii.jpg
Illiosporiopsis christiansenii - a beautiful coral pink fungus on Physcia.

diggleken
Frequent user

Post by diggleken » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:58 am

Sorry Steve, should have known..........
That is a cracking shot of Marchandiomyces!
Illosporiopsis christiansenii was always thought to be rare, but when you start to inspect Physcia you see it a lot, certainly round here - and I sent some records over to Chris Yeates as we were seeing them virtually every time we looked.
It must be just under-recorded as there aren't that many Lichenologists around - and many fungi folk wont be looking for it really. They may now a bit more as its more openly known to be more frequent these days after social media/WAB etc had some content about it.
Cheers and happy new year!
Ken