Cladonia floerkeana?

Steve
Frequent user

Cladonia floerkeana?

Post by Steve » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:07 pm

Found at Longshaw on peaty soil on boulder-strewn sheep pasture, acid gritstone.
Colour is more greyish than yellowish even when wet.
Podetia are covered in small granules at the apex and are more squamulose below.
The podetia are crudely branched.
Some cup-like structures ringed with red pycnidia present, but mostly irregularly club-shaped.
Apothecia large, red.
K and K=C reactions on cortex are negative.
Using Frank Dobson (2005) I keyed this out as likely Cladonia floerkeana.
But it’s another very variable species, which some authors consider to be the same as C. macilenta.
Cladonia is not apparently an easy genus.
Steve
Crop stack c.jpg
Stacked image

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Re: Cladonia floerkeana?

Post by Chris Johnson » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:34 am

Hi Steve

Cladonia floerkeana is quite common here, usually associated with peat, especially old peat cuttings.

Chris
Attachments
Cladonia-floerkeana-03.jpg

Steve
Frequent user

Post by Steve » Sun May 08, 2016 12:04 pm

Hi Chris,
Lovely image. We are hopefully going up to NW Scotland (Stoer, near Lochinver) on Friday for a fortnight and I'm looking forward to seeing the lichens in their full spendour. Our problem here in Sheffield and the Peak District is that so many lichens are stunted because of air pollution, and that makes them much more difficult. I'm trying to adopt a systematic way of identifying them, but I think it will be difficult if not impossible to be accurate.
About 5 years ago I noted biggish growths of Ramalina, Evernia and Parmelia on street trees just 2-3 miles from Sheffield city centre - which I photographed in some detail. They were on mostly Acers between our house and my mother-in-law's a mile away. I was expecting them to just keep growing, something amazing as when I first did lichens 35 years ago, almost all you could find on Sheffield trees was Lecanora conizaeoides, Lepraria incana and some small Physcias. However, these new Ramalina, Evernia and Parmelia growths seem to have suddenly disappeared from the Acers over the last couple of years. There's no doubt that air quality in our region is deteriorating and that the larger lichens are mostly retreating again - which is a shame. Sheffield, once the dirtiest city in Western Europe, became the cleanest industrial city in Western Europe a couple of decades ago.
It will be interesting to monitor Usnea, Ramalina, Evernia and Cladonia etc at Longshaw Estate, which is just 10 miles from Sheffield City Centre.
Cheers,
Steve

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Post by Chris Johnson » Mon May 09, 2016 6:26 am

Hi Steve

Enjoy your trip to the north-west, you should do really well for lichens.

Christine has just completed a week's course on lichens at one of the FSC's centres, so we hope to record more on the taxon this year.

Best, Chris