Pink Purslane

Gracie
User

Pink Purslane

Post by Gracie » Sat May 16, 2015 10:27 am

Just a note to say I have found this plant for the first time this year, and I have been looking for it for ages, sometimes they are right under your nose. Gracie
Pink Purslane Claytonia sibirica (8) (750x520).jpg
Pink Purslane Flowers
Pink Purslane Claytonia sibirica (8) (750x520).jpg (243.38 KiB) Viewed 2955 times

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Pink Purslane

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sat May 16, 2015 10:17 pm

Nice find (and photo), Joan.

Now that you have a local site for Pink Purslane, you will have to look to see if you can find the rust fungus Puccinia arenariae, which has been recorded on them.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

Gracie
User

Post by Gracie » Mon May 18, 2015 12:59 pm

That is a must then Mike, could take me a long time as there was lots of this lovely flower all over the woodland but I did think an autumn visit would be a good idea to see if it produced any fungi.

Wood Wanderer
Frequent user

Post by Wood Wanderer » Mon May 18, 2015 1:03 pm

Great photo Joan, not one I have ever knowingly seen.

Nice to catch up with the ex WAB crowd again

Regards

John

Gracie
User

Post by Gracie » Mon May 18, 2015 1:06 pm

Hi John, it is indeed, I look forward to some wonderful fungi finds on here soon, thanks for your comments, I had looked for this plant for ages, then Mike said it grows all over the woodland near me, then I walking into one near me and nearly fell over it. Joan

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Mon May 18, 2015 1:15 pm

Hi Joan, the 9 records of P.arenariae found on Pink Purslane so far, have all been in Scotland, (between the months May-September. See:-
http://www.fieldmycology.net/FRDBI/FRDB ... +arenariae

(I would imagine all of those finds to have been on live leaves and stems).

I'm not sure why only Scotland should have seen records so far, but that's not to say it won't be found on Pink Purslane elsewhere in Britain.

I'd hazard a guess that it would be under-recorded generally, as not that many people look for rusts, and anyone not specifically looking would pass by without ever seeing most of them. - It's difficult enough to find rusts when you are actively looking! :)

So, there's a challenge for you - to become the first person in England to find rust on a Pink Purslane. :D

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

Gracie
User

Post by Gracie » Wed May 20, 2015 6:12 pm

Oh no Mike now I am going to be looking for it everywhere I go while on holiday in Scotland as well as trying to find one here too :o

earthdragon64
New user

Post by earthdragon64 » Sat May 23, 2015 7:49 pm

Hi Mike and Joan, I wish I'd known about this rust fungus a week ago. I've just had a week on Colonsay where I've seen more Pink Purslane than I've ever seen before by a very long way. I'm sure there must have been at least some with the rust, but I just wasn't looking.
Regards, Audrey.

My Flickr Albums

diggleken
Frequent user

Post by diggleken » Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 am

Yes, a lot in Galloway too Audrey - but I know sites local to me, so guess what I'll be looking for? ;)
Cheers Mike..........lets see....
Ken

Gracie
User

Post by Gracie » Sun May 24, 2015 9:07 am

What a lovely holiday that must have been Audrey and I know just what you mean, I just looked at the flowers and not for anything else at all, I think as Mike said it's almost always found in Scotland that you would have found it, never mind something to keep in mind if you find some near you or get to go there again.

Best wishes Joan