How to define a mycologist?

For jokes, random off-topic conversations etc
Amadan
User
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 10:08 am
Location: Sawtry, Cambs

Re: How to define a mycologist?

Post by Amadan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:24 am

I think that the mycologist - amateur or professional - has to be perhaps the most dedicated of all the varieties of "natural history" enthusiasts. Fungi must be the most difficult of all the macro-organisms, in the UK at least. But they are fascinating! Their biology is remarkable (and they've taxed the taxonomists for decades), they can be eerily beautiful, and occasionally delicious.
I've never attempted to specialise in any wildlife group (though I admit a particular fondness for Adders), but as an interested novice I not only enjoy seeing, photographing, and trying to identify them; I find that the discussions they prompt (here and on other sites) are amongst the most erudite and informative on any subject.
I also think that a certain amount of optimism - and definitely a sense of humour - are essential requisites.

mollisia
Frequent user
Posts: 356
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:55 am
Location: Jena (Germany)
Contact:

Re: How to define a mycologist?

Post by mollisia » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:15 am

Hello,
Amadan wrote:Fungi must be the most difficult of all the macro-organisms, in the UK at least.
Hmmm, what about flies, beetles etc .... I think they are even more challenging, when you often be happy to determine to family level ...
Amadan wrote:I also think that a certain amount of optimism - and definitely a sense of humour - are essential requisites.
not to forget a comperatively high frustration tolerance :D

best regards,
Andreas

User avatar
FungiJohn
Regular user
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 8:05 pm

Re: How to define a mycologist?

Post by FungiJohn » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:03 pm

mollisia wrote:Hello,
Amadan wrote:Fungi must be the most difficult of all the macro-organisms, in the UK at least.
Hmmm, what about flies, beetles etc .... I think they are even more challenging, when you often be happy to determine to family level ...
Amadan wrote:I also think that a certain amount of optimism - and definitely a sense of humour - are essential requisites.
not to forget a comperatively high frustration tolerance :D

best regards,
Andreas
I so fully agree with your last statement Andreas :D

Best Wishes - John

diggleken
Frequent user
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 3:13 pm

Re: How to define a mycologist?

Post by diggleken » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:24 pm

If you think fungi are tough, try Springtails - Collembola. And there are others equally tough.
One of the unfortunate things is there are so few resources and experts, unlike fungi...............
This might give an idea of them in terms of numbers and variety:
http://ws1.roehampton.ac.uk/collembola/ ... index.html
Cheers
Ken

Post Reply