Perfect Morning - (Revisited!)

For jokes, random off-topic conversations etc
Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Perfect Morning - (Revisited!)

Post by Lancashire Lad » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:04 pm

A superb sunny day with lots of snow on the high tops saw me back in Great Langdale on Wednesday, for a walk up Pike of Blisco and Crinkle Crags.

Starting in the half-light of dawn, from the National Trust car park adjacent to the Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel, I walked past Wall End Farm, before taking the Redacre Gill path up to Pike of Blisco.

I was well on my way before the sun rose high enough reach valley level, but minute by minute, this was turning into a glorious winter’s day. With height gained, and the sun higher in the sky, the views began to open up, and by the time I reached the summit, there were panoramic snow-clad vistas in all directions.

From Pike of Blisco, I dropped down to the col near Red Tarn, and then skirted past the flanks of Great Knott, up to Crinkle Crags.
From Crinkle Crags, the Scafell’s vista was superb, as was the view across the Langdale Pikes to the Helvellyn range beyond. Skiddaw, Blencathra, Fairfield, St, Sunday Crag, the list goes on - all snow-clad, and all vying for attention in the sun.

Numerous photographs later, I stopped for lunch before continuing along the Crinkle Crags ridge and down to the Three Tarns – arguably one of the best viewpoints for the Scafell’s at any time of year, but even better when snow-clad in winter sunshine!
From Three Tarns col, I descended back to valley level by The Band, before walking through Stool End Farm and back to the car.

Might be perhaps surprising to some, but during the afternoon, (while I was on the Crinkle Crags ridge), and although I wasn't aware at the time, there was a large avalanche on Skiddaw: - https://t.co/EJro0yiGzu - with one some four times larger on Wednesday night. (Many people don't think that such things occur in England!).
So, if you're heading to the hills this winter - be prepared, and be careful! ;)

Perhaps not surprising - I didn't see one fungus all day! :lol:

Regards,
Mike.

GPS Track of the walk: -
# GPS Track - 1 to 50000 scale..jpg
And a few pics from the day: -
( If you would like to see more photos from this walk, see: - https://www.walklakes.co.uk/talk/viewto ... ?f=2&t=443 ).
Attachments
01 Langdale Pikes.jpg
01 The Langdale Pikes, seen in the half light of dawn, on the approach to Great Langdale.
02 Langdale Pikes from flanks of Pike of Blisco.jpg
02 The Langdale Pikes, with Pike of Stickle and Loft Crag prominent, as viewed from the flanks of Pike of Blisco.
03 Crinkle Crags (taken on way down to Red Tarn).jpg
03 Great Knott and Crinkle Crags, with Bowfell at extreme right. (Taken on the descent between Pike of Blisco summit and Red Tarn col.
04 Yours truly with Scafells vista behind.jpg
Yours truly with the Scafell's vista behind.
(Taken from Long Top).
05 The Scafells from Crinkle Crags.jpg
The Scafell's as seen from Crinkle Crags summit ridge.
06 Langdales & Helvellyn Range.jpg
The Langdale Pikes as seen from Crinkle Crags - with Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike, Dollywaggon Pike, St. Sunday Crag. Fairfield, and Seat Sandal beyond.
Common sense is not so common.

NellyDee
Regular user

Post by NellyDee » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:47 pm

Though bitingly cold the views are breathtaking are they not. I togged up today and went out and take photos of the hoar frost on the remaining fungi and the grasses, stones, trees - oh so much to photograph it fascinates me, nature's art at its best, even on the inside of my windows -
Attachments
DSCF5522.JPG
Frosty window

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:35 pm

An optimistic weather forecast for Monday saw me back in the Lake District for another walk up Helvellyn.

Starting from a roadside pull-in, I walked along Greenside Road to the old Greenside Mine area. - Now home to the Helvellyn YHA building etc. Beyond the buildings, I crossed the footbridge over Glenridding Beck, onto the fell-side leading towards Red Tarn & Helvellyn.

Much of the early season snow had now melted, with little remaining below the 2000ft level. Higher on the fells, snow cover was patchy, giving a “zebra-like” look to the high tops. What snow did remain was generally in good condition for walking, having had several freeze-thaw cycles in which to become hard and stable. It is worth noting though, that on main path routes that see the passage of many walkers, much of the remaining snow had become very compact indeed. Being, to all intents and purposes, sheet ice, – so due care was needed when crossing these areas.

Reaching Red Tarn, a decision was needed. Do I go up via Striding Edge – or Swirral Edge?
From where I was standing, Striding Edge looked mostly devoid of snow, whereas Swirral Edge did at least have some snowy patches, especially on the steeper bits near the top. Plus, I’d ascended by Striding Edge several times recently.
So, decision made, this time it would be up via Swirral Edge for a change!

Much of the scramble was on bare and mostly dry rock, but the snow patches were on steep ground – and sufficiently hard to preclude a safe ascent by step kicking alone. - Time to get the crampons on and unhitch the ice-axe. Safety first – always!

An enjoyable few minutes later and I was at the top. Magnificent views all around, just slightly marred by some thin cloud drifting in from the west, more or less at summit height. And some general low level haze in the valleys which would take the “crispness” out of any distant views in photos.

Not many people about meant that it was easy to find a cosy corner in Helvellyn’s summit shelter for lunch – during which time the Fell Top Assessor appeared, taking his daily wind speed readings etc. by the summit cairn.

After lunch, it was a delightfully easy stroll across to Helvellyn Lower Man, followed by White Side, and then onto Raise. From Raise summit, I headed north to Sticks Pass, before turning eastwards, following the Sticks Gill path (with the Lake District Ski Club buildings and ski-tow now on my right).
Passing through the disused quarry workings above "Lucy's Tongue", and descending via Stang End back to Greenside Mine area, I finally retraced my walk-in route along Greenside Road back to the car.

Regards,
Mike.

GPS track of the walk: -
# GPS Track - 1 to 25000 scale(1).jpg
GPS track of the walk.
And a few pics from the day.
( If you would like to see more photos from this walk, see: - https://www.walklakes.co.uk/talk/viewto ... ?f=2&t=445 ): -
Attachments
02 Helvellyn from Red Tarn.jpg
01 Helvellyn and The Edges, as seen from the approach to Red Tarn.
03 Swirral Edge close-up.jpg
02 Close-up view of Swirral Edge.
06 Catstye Cam & Ullswater from Helvellyn trig pillar.jpg
03 The view east, across Catstye Cam to Ullswater. As seen from Helvellyn's triangulation pillar.
08 Looking north to Helvellyn Lower Man, Skiddaw, & Blencathra.jpg
04 Looking north to Helvellyn Lower Man and the path towards White Side, with Skiddaw and Blencathra on the horizon.
13 Looking back to Helvellyn from Raise.jpg
05 Looking back to a silhouetted Helvellyn. (Taken near the summit of Raise).
20 Catstye Cam from Stang End(2).jpg
06 Looking back to Catstye Cam, as seen from Stang End on the descent back down to Greenside.

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:12 pm

First Lake District walk of the new year on Wednesday - Swirl How & Wetherlam etc. :)

Starting from the roadside parking area at Low Tilberthwaite, I took the faint path which follows Blake Rigg Gill (unnamed on OS maps) behind the cottages, heading steeply upwards, towards Great Intake. Reaching the somewhat boggy plateau between Birk Fell and Great Intake, the spectacular view towards the Langdale Pikes opened up – demanding that photographs be taken!

The walk then continued by descending alongside the dry stone wall to Greenburn Beck, before striking up the Rough Crags – High End – Wet Side Edge ridge towards Little Carrs, Great Carrs, and Swirl How. As height was gradually regained, the views once again became ever more impressive, and by the time Swirl How summit was reached, had revealed various aspects of Crinkle Crags, Bowfell, The Langdale Pikes, the Scafell range, and many more fells in all their glory.

I stopped for a while at Swirl How summit to take in the views whilst having lunch.
Although it was a gloriously sunny winter’s day, there was a considerable wind on the tops, and wind chill meant that air temperature was well below zero. – So once lunch was out of the way, I made a steep (and slow!) descent over verglas coated rock, down Prison Band to Swirl Hawse, before continuing upwards to Wetherlam summit.

From there, it was a similar type of descent down Wetherlam Edge, to Birk Fell Hawse.
At Birk Fell Hawse, the start of the descent path back down to the valley was not very evident amongst the craggy outcrops, but once found, was easily followed. Firstly down into Dry Cove Bottom, and then beside the ravine of Tilberthwaite Gill, before finally skirting the lower flanks of Blake Rigg to Low Tilberthwaite and back to the car.

Regards,
Mike.

GPS Track - 1 to 25000 Scale1.jpg
( If you would like to see more photos from this walk, see: - https://www.walklakes.co.uk/talk/viewto ... ?f=2&t=454 ).
Attachments
02 Langdale Pikes from flanks of Great Intake.jpg
The Langdale Pikes. (Taken from near the summit of Great Intake).
07 An Inquisitive Herdwick.jpg
An inquisitive Herdwick !
06 - Swirl How, Great Carrs & Little Carrs from Greenburn.jpg
Swirl How, Great Carrs, and Little Carrs, from Greenburn.
08 Cold Pike, Crinkle Crags, & Bowfell, from Rough Crags Ridge.jpg
Cold Pike, Crinkle Crags - (partly obscured by Great Knott), and Bowfell. (Taken from the Rough Crags ridge area.
11a The Scafells, Crinkles, & Bowfell, from Swirl How.jpg
The Scafells, with Crinkle Crags and Bowfell at extreme right. (Taken from Swirl How).
14a Scafells to Bowfell, from Swirl How summit.jpg
Looking across Great Carrs to the Scafells, Bowfell, etc. (Taken from Swirl How summit).

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:04 pm

A gloriously sunny start to the day last Friday saw me returning to the area of the Lake District's North-Western Fells, for a round walk from Causey Pike to Grisedale Pike. The morning sunshine gave way to hazy high level cloud in the afternoon, before clearing again to give the promise of a superb spring-time evening.

I had hoped, (based on conditions around Helvellyn's higher slopes at the time), that there would have been a good amount of snow underfoot, but apart from the western slopes of Crag Hill, (towards Grasmoor), where there was good deep snow cover, the white stuff on this particular route was fairly patchy, and, as there was a general thaw under way, quite soft. Step-kicking was all that was needed to give a good purchase on steeper sections - so, although carried, there was no real need to make use of the ice-axe and crampons.

Starting from a roadside pull-in, adjacent to Stonycroft Bridge at Stair, I decided to take the most direct path up to Rowling End.
Quite a steep ascent, but height is gained quickly for the effort involved, and the extensive views begin to open out right from the very start.
Once on the ridge it was an easy stroll across Rowling End's flat(ish!) top towards Causey Pike - The very first Fell that I ever climbed in the Lake District, way back in 1970! - and which requires a nice if somewhat short rock scramble in order to gain its summit.

From Causey Pike it was onwards across Scar Crags, and then up the zig-zag path to Sail, before continuing on to the highest point of this ridge at Crag Hill summit. After a short break for a bite to eat and a drink, I then headed generally westwards towards Grasmoor, descending as far as the col, before turning northwards to continue the descent to Coledale Hause.

From Coledale Hause, it was onwards and upwards. with the ascent of Sand Hill and Hopegill Head, before turning eastwards, skirting the Hobcarton Crag ridge towards the final main fell of the day, Grisedale Pike. Then came the long descent over Sleet How and Kinn, down to Braithwaite village, before taking the fell-side footpath through the area of Braithwaite Lodge / Little Braithwaite, and the final leg along the road back to Stonycroft and the car.

#GPS Track - 1 to 50000 scale(1).jpg

If you would like to see more of my photos from this walk, see: - https://www.walklakes.co.uk/talk/viewto ... ?f=2&t=471 .

As UK Fungi's image grid view is tending to leave large spaces when image descriptions are included, I'll describe the six individual images here, in list form: -
Pic.1 - Looking up to Causey Pike from the start point of the walk, on the lower flanks of Rowling End, near Stonycroft Bridge.
Pic.2 - Looking across the vale of Keswick from the flanks of Rowling End to a snow capped Skiddaw massif.
Pic.3 - Nearing the flat ridge along Rowling End, and the head of Newlands valley comes into view - with the crags of Dale Head dominating the scene, and Great End just peeping out over Dalehead Tarn col.
Pic.4 - Looking across Robinson, to the "Lakeland Giants", from the summit plateau of Crag Hill.
On the horizon, from left to right, the photo shows: Bowfell, Esk Pike, Great End, Ill Crag, Broad Crag, Scafell Pike, and Scafell. - With Great Gable and Kirk Fell in front of them, and, in turn, Haystacks in front of them.
Pic.5 - Crag Hill and Grasmoor, from the final slopes when approaching Grisedale Pike summit.
Pic.6 - Looking back to Sail and Crag Hill from Grisedale Pike summit ridge.

Regards,
Mike.
Attachments
01 Causey Pike.jpg
01 Causey Pike.
02 Skiddaw.jpg
02 Skiddaw.
03 Dale Head.jpg
03 Dale Head.
04 The Scafells etc..jpg
04 The Lakeland Giants.
015 Crag Hill & Grasmoor.jpg
05 Crag Hill and Grasmoor.
016 Sail and Crag Hill.jpg
06 - Sail and Crag Hill.

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Thu May 11, 2017 12:06 pm

The promise of fine weather, along with much less wind than we’ve had of late, saw me heading back to Great Langdale on Tuesday for another walk. This time I’d decided to do a “Mickleden Round”, taking in some of my favourite fells, and reacquainting myself with a couple of tops that I hadn’t visited in several years.

Starting from the National Trust (Stickle Ghyll) car park, I took the path up to Stickle Tarn, and then up the front of Pavey Ark's imposing crag-face via the superb scramble of "Jack’s Rake".
From Pavey Ark summit, onwards to Thunacar Knott, and then High Raise, followed by quite a lengthy “off-piste” descent to a small unnamed tarn at Stake Pass, marking the beginning of the ascents of Mansey Pike, Black Crags, and Rossett Pike.

From Rossett Pike, it was a short stroll to Angle Tarn, and then onwards in the direction of Esk Hause, before bearing off up to Ore Gap. From there, I scrambled upwards over rocky terrain to gain the ridge at Bowfell’s north summit – which gives spectacular views across to the Langdale Pikes and is also a superb vantage point for the awe-inspiring “Great Slab”.

Bowfell summit was my final peak of the day, before descending to Three Tarns Col, and then down The Band to Stool End Farm. A leisurely stroll along the footpath between the Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel and the Stickle Ghyll car park completed the walk.

#GPS Track - 1 to 50000 scale1.jpg

And a few pics from the day. - (I'll describe the photos in list form below, to ensure that the thumbnails appear correctly as a block of nine).
Photo 1 - Looking up Stickle Ghyll - Tarn Crag on horizon at the right, and Harrison Stickle at left - (hiding behind the tree!).
The main Stickle Ghyll waterfall would normally be quite prominent in this view, but with little rain for several weeks, it had been reduced to not much more than a trickle.
Photo 2 - Stickle Tarn, with Pavey Ark beyond. To set foot on this group of rocks in the tarn would generally involve getting very wet! - But once again, evidence of less than average rainfall can be deduced from the low water level.
Photo 3 - A better climber than me! This photo doesn't do any justice to the angle of the shot - or the sheep's agility. The ledge it is standing on was very small, located some 20 vertiginous metres higher up the crag-face, and well above Jack's Rake!
Photo 4 - The huge "finger-like" chockstone, which has to be negotiated on the scramble up Jack's Rake.
Photo 5 - The western skyline from High Raise summit. - Bowfell, Esk Pike, The Scafell's, Great End. etc. - with Great Gable to the right.
Photo 6 - Esk Pike, Great End, and Great Gable, seen from the northern flanks of Bowfell after the ascent to Ore Gap.
Photo 7 - Bowfell's "Great Slab", with The Band falling away in middle distance, and Langdale valley beyond.
Photo 8 - Pike of Blisco as seen from Earing Crag area of The Band.
Photo 9 - An inquisitive Robin which accompanied me for a short time on the final leg of the walk. He was flitting from fence post to fence post alongside me, and repeatedly diving to the ground just behind where I'd walked. - Presumably picking up insects disturbed as I'd walked by.

If you would like to see more photos from this walk, see: - https://www.walklakes.co.uk/talk/viewto ... ?f=2&t=488

Regards,
Mike.
Attachments
01 Stickle Ghyll.jpg
Photo 01.
02 Pavey Ark.jpg
Photo 02.
03 Pavey Ark Sheep.jpg
Photo 03.
04 Chockstone.jpg
Photo 04.
05 High Raise vista.jpg
Photo 05.
06 Esk Pike etc..jpg
Photo 06.
07 Great Slab.jpg
Photo 07.
08 Pike of Blisco.jpg
Photo 08.
09 Robin.jpg
Photo 09.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sun May 14, 2017 1:35 pm

Lovely!
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Tue May 16, 2017 12:23 pm

Cheers Adam!

Intentions of visiting the Rannerdale bluebells spectacle saw me back up in the Lake District on Sunday.
As ever though, I also wanted to get onto the high fells, and so, giving due consideration to prevailing weather conditions, decided to make Rannerdale Knotts and the bluebells the last part of a short-ish round walk, also taking in Grasmoor, Wandope, and Whiteless Pike.

Sunday morning began with much of northern Lakeland covered in low level cloud, with intermittent light rain showers. However, the forecast had suggested that the cloud should quickly lift, to give good sunny periods throughout the afternoon. Hence, with the Rannerdale bluebells being the primary reason for this visit, I decided to do the high tops first, leaving the bluebells for (hopefully!) the best of the day’s weather.

Parking up in one of Cinderdale Common’s small gravelly parking areas, I sat in the car until cloud level eventually cleared the top of Mellbreak, and then headed off up Lad Hows towards Grasmoor. My decision to wait a while paid off. – I only got caught by one very brief shower, and I could see the clouds visibly retreating as I gained height. By the time I’d got to about 2000ft., cloud was already lifting above Grasmoor summit. – It was going to be another great day on the tops!

A quick lunch break ensconced in Grasmoor’s summit cairn-cum-shelter, (out of the very strong and gusty wind up there!), was followed by an easy amble across to Wandope, and then onwards via Whiteless Edge to Whiteless Pike. Then down Whiteless Breast to the final hill of the day, Rannerdale Knotts via Low Bank. This was my first visit to Rannerdale Knotts summit, and I have to say, for its small stature, it’s a great little fell – with some nice craggy outcrops and some super views.

Then it was off downwards, back to valley level near Hause Point on Crummock Water. And then, before finally making my way back to the car, a leisurely wander amongst Rannerdale’s famous bluebells. - The objects of the annual spectacle which draws hundreds, if not thousands of visitors at this time of year to the lower flanks of the fells behind Rannerdale Farm. Photos can’t really do them justice, as the eye needs to constantly pan around the area to take them all in. Well worth the visit, and the perfect end to another great day in the Lakes!

GPS Track - 1 to 25000 scale.jpg

And some pics from the day. (Again, I'll describe them in list form below, to ensure that the thumbnails appear properly in grid format).
Photo1 - Grasmoor, the first summit of the day. (Although this photo was taken from Rannerdale Knotts, towards the end of the walk).
Photo2 - Nearing Grasmoor summit, looking back down the Lad Hows ridge I'd just climbed. With Rannerdale Knotts more-or-less centre frame.
Photo3 - Rannerdale Knotts from Whiteless Breast, with the first good glimpse of the bluebells far below.
Photo4 - Fleetwith Pike and the Warnscale Area, taken looking back, when approaching Rannerdale Knotts summit.
Photo5 - Gateway to The Rannerdale Bluebells. - Taken from the footpath beside Rannerdale Farm.
Photo6 - Bluebells, bluebells, everywhere!
Photo7 - Looking up the High Rannerdale valley, with gorse in full bloom, and bluebells carpeting the valley floor.
Photo8 - Yet more bluebells! - (Just a shame that the foxglove growing from the tree trunk wasn't yet in bloom!).
Photo9 - Some of the stars of the show, taking their bow!

If you would like to see more photos from this walk, see: - https://www.walklakes.co.uk/talk/viewto ... ?f=2&t=489

Regards,
Mike.
Attachments
01 Grasmoor from Low Bank.jpg
Photo 1
02 Lad Hows Ridge.jpg
Photo 2
03 Rannerdale Knotts from Whiteless Breast.jpg
Photo 3
04 Fleetwith Pike-Warnscale from Rannerdale Knotts.jpg
Photo 4
05 Rannerdale Bluebells.jpg
Photo 5
06 Rannerdale Bluebells.jpg
Photo 6
07 Rannerdale Bluebells.jpg
Photo 7
08 Rannerdale Bluebells.jpg
Photo 8
09 Rannerdale Bluebells.jpg
Photo 9

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sat May 27, 2017 4:29 pm

Extensive early mist in the valleys, followed by good weather all day was promised for Thursday, so I had another visit to the Lake District to do the “Newlands Round”.
As things turned out, the forecast was spot on. Driving towards and through central Lakeland, not long after dawn, was pretty much a pea-soup mist affair.
However, occasionally rising above the murkiness at places such as Dunmail Raise, confirmed that this was indeed low lying mist, with cloudless blue skies above. – It was going to be a great day on the tops!

Parking up at the “Catbells Parking Area”, by the roadside near Gutherscale, I headed off up the fell, breaking through the top of the mist just before reaching the Thomas Arthur Leonard memorial tablet. (Which is affixed to a small rocky-outcrop at about 850ft. in height).
By the time I’d reached Skelgill Bank, I was well above the blanket of cloud, with great views all around, and the promise of wall-to-wall sunshine for the rest of the walk!

The day was extremely warm and I got through all but the last few drops of the 2.5 litres of drinks carried. It was, therefore, a nice surprise on reaching Littletown, towards the end of the walk, to find that the Farm "Tea Room" was open.
Thus, I was able to purchase a very cold, very refreshing, and very thirst quenching pint of bitter shandy :D before taking the "Vicarage" footpath across the fields to Low Skelgill Farm, Gutherscale, and back to the car.

#GPS Track - 1 to 50000 Scale1.jpg

And some photos from the day. (Described in list form below, to ensure correct alignment of thumbnail images).
Photo 1 - Not long after starting the walk, and, having broken through the "cloud", my first proper view of the extent of the low lying mist. Taken from Skelgill Bank, looking northwards to Skiddaw.
Photo 2 - The summit of Swinside, floating on a sea of mist.
Photo 3 - Looking in the other direction from the same spot, you would never be aware that the mist had been there. - Looking towards Catbells, with Hindscarth and Robinson over to the right hand side.
Photo 4 - Now on the way to Maiden Moor, looking back across Catbells to Skiddaw etc.
Photo 5 - Approaching High Spy, with Dale Head Crags and the Tongue Gill ravine dominating the view.
Photo 6 - Approaching Dale Head summit, with this superb view northwards down the Newlands valley. - In my humble opinion, this has to be one of the very best views in Lakeland!
Photo 7 - Looking across Buttermere, with High Crag, High Stile, and Red Pike prominent behind the lake.
Photo 8 - About to reach the main descent of Scope End, and the full extent of Newlands valley can be seen. With High Spy's Eel Crags to the left, Dale Head Crags to centre, and the flanks of Hindscarth to right hand side.
Photo 9 - Back on the valley floor, and crossing the Newlands Beck footbridge beside Low Snab gives this superb view along the extent of Newlands valley towards Dale Head.

If you would like to see lots more photos from this walk, see: - https://www.walklakes.co.uk/talk/viewto ... ?f=2&t=494

Regards,
Mike.
Attachments
01 Skiddaw Inversion.jpg
Photo 1 - Skiddaw inversion.
02 Swinside Inversion.jpg
Photo 2 - Swinside inversion.
06 Catbells.jpg
Photo 3 - Catbells etc.
11 Catbells & Skiddaw.jpg
Photo 4 - Looking Back across Catbells.
13 Dale Head Crags.jpg